SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

How do I best handle these huge suckers I dug up today?

aliska12000
16 years ago

Please help, I had a terrible time digging them in the tangled mass of roots and undergrowth. I got them partly for pecanmom in Georgia and don't particularly want one but want to save them both if I can. I should have dug them earlier when they were much smaller and more manageable, but it is nearly impossible to get a large enough root ball where they are growing. Maybe I should ask in propagation, but there isn't as much traffic there.

I wanted more of a soil ball, dug all around as best I could first, but when they both broke loose, I got one with just the root section (looks like a tuber) and the other pair (think parent/child) does have a "tuber" and a few feeder roots, but not many.

It can't possibly grow with all those long canes and leaves. I'm sure I'll have to cut it back, how much? Maybe I should just try to bury the root section and not overwater and hope it will do something other that die like all my Harison's but one did last year.

I was planning to grow them in gallon pots until the roots take hold, first maybe on the east side, then move into full sun.

I saw a few places on the others growing there in a huge section where I could get some decent cuttings if I fail with this. But sending cuttings to Georgia, I don't know if they would make it though the system if there is any substantial heat in the cargo hold, trucks, etc.

What is the best way to do? They are now sitting in the shade, covered with some soil, it is fairly cool now, then tucked in soaked newspapers and plastic bags, but I need to get on them ASAP.

This year the blooms are much smaller, could be from the Easter freeze, don't know, looks kind of pretty from the street. My friend just picked off that bloom for me from another rose nearby and I stuck it in a vase.

2003 first when the bloom was much larger then two smaller photos of what I brought home today. People on another thread about this rose thought it might be Duc de Guise.

{{gwi:283901}}

{{gwi:283902}}

{{gwi:283903}}

Comments (2)