SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_jurgensen

Floopy Celsiana

Hi all,

Hope you summer blooming season is much more prolific then mine! (My roses lost the battle of the deadly MN winter and rabbit cane-chewing combination). Since my garden was looking rather pathetically rose-free this June, I gave in to my baser instincts and took a trip to my local nursery nirvana, Kedem Roses. I came home with some beauties... But I've got a couple questions.

#1 How do you deal with droopy damasks? I brought back Celsiana, which is an absolute jem... except for the droopy cane habit. How can I admire her blooms when she insists on dropping them in the dirt? Do I stake them? Put them in a peony hoop? Just deal, and lean over to pick them up whenever I want to see? I'm totally clueless.

#2 I picked up this amazingly gorgeous BEAST of a rose. I can't even plant it by myself, it's so huge. But the ticket was lost, and I don't know what it is, other then pink, gorgeous, huge (not rambler size, but the biggest shrub I've seen lately) and very prolific. Can I post some pics somehow and get some help identifying it? Mrs. Kedem wasn't sure what it as either, so no help from the shop... I appreciate any advice.

Comments (4)

• 15 years ago

the droopiness will correct itself. eventually the rose will pick the canes up out of the dirt.

• 15 years ago

You want to change boring old floopy into a perky beauty that says "Walk this way, Sugar". When floopy develops enough canes to give her a new hairdo, try a 'shag' cut. She definitely needs a layered look.

Ann

• 15 years ago

Floppiness is a problem for all centifolias. I will disagree with the others' comments and say you cannot really counter this with pruning, especially a once-bloomer like 'Celsiana.' Perhaps a low perennial support ring may help.

I no longer grow centifolias, as lovely as the blooms are.

• 15 years ago

The ancient damask rose 'Celsiana' is one of the most charming of the OGRs. Its lime green canes rarely seem to get thicker than a pencil even on a mature plant. I have a ÂCelsiana growing in a partially shady, windy, cold spot in zone 4. It has been there since 1991 along with the alba ÂSuaveolensÂ. They are part of a row of shrubbery as a foundation planting. They were planted while the neighboring shrubs were younger and over time the Andromeda has grown to the point that ÂCelsiana must grow through the Andromeda to get to the light above. The Andromeda gives great support to the rose and ÂCelsiana grows to well over 6 through it with its long canes waving above. When it flowers, it flops its slender canes onto the Andromeda displaying the flowers across the top and down the sides.

Last fall rabbits attacked all my roses eating the bark off of the canes to the point that most of the canes died. This year I have all new canes on my roses so it was not a year of abundant bloom. ÂCelsiana is struggling a little with 4 canes making their way through the Andromeda which is almost 5 tall. It wonÂt flower this year but next year I expect to see those crinkly flowers waving above the Andromeda.