SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Need Advice on Best Grasses and Annuals Books

arbo_retum
13 years ago

My old grasses book is not sufficient, and, inspired by some new-to-me grasses that I have noted on the High Country Garden site,I spent part of today looking through 3 library grasses books , figuring that the grasses-perhaps-to-be-ordered would be a good way to compare the 3 books with the ultimate goal of buying one of them.I was amazed at how bad they were. The authors were Rick Darke,Roger Grounds and Nancy Ondra(respectively, The Encyclopedia of grasses; Grasses; and Grasses. Darke's was the largest, heaviest, most comprehensive, and had by far the best photos. But he only listed zone hardiness about 50% of the time!!! Whaaaat???? At least that was better than the other 2 books, who did not even list most of the 5 grasses I was researching. Do youall have any suggestions for a great grasses book that is comprehensive, w/ great photos, AND lists the zones?

Now, after being very impressed w/ Alan Armitage's excellent book on vines, I thought his book on Garden Annuals would be a no brainer. I really just checked it out of the library to confirm my assumption. Well, you know what they say about assumptions..... The book is crummy with regards to Care info; and does nothing in the topic of creative overwintering .I'm guessing that he palmed it off to some grad students or something. sigh. excellent pictures though.what recommendations would you give me here? Maybe I get Armit for photos and a 2nd book on overwintering tropicals and annuals? Thanks so much for your help.

best,

mindy

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals