SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
razorbunny

Entwining Weeping Willows

razorbunny
14 years ago

We are moving into a new house soon, and I am planning on planting a weeping willow in the backyard. It will be well away from the house, and we don't have a septic field or any underground pipes out in the yard to worry about.

A big part of my motivation is the ugly and somewhat inefficient drainage ditch that was cut across the back yard. I'm hoping the willow's spreading roots and love of water can help get rid of this eyesore and the erosion that it encourages.

Specifically, though, I am wondering about the practicality of combining two young trees. When I was younger my mother had two ficus trees entwined as saplings, and they grew up together. One had standard leaves and the other was variegated. The combination was quite beautiful. I want to try and do that with the willow, and combine a Golden Niobe (Salix alba tristis) with a green variety (Salix babylonica). They have similar growth rates and adult heights.

Has anyone tinkered with this sort of entwining? What's the best technique?

I want this to grow up to be a nice big shady spreading tree, and I'm hoping for a result like my mom's ficus - the appearance of a single tree, but with two different colors of leaves.

Any advice is appreciated!

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!