SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jfw432

Belt drive transmission problems

jfw432
13 years ago

Let me start off by saying that I mow on steep hills. I have a relatively new Ariens mower with the transmatic (I think) transmission. It's not a hydrostatic. I had trouble keeping traction with the normal tires so I switched to knobby tires to aid in traction and felt like I could take on the world with those tires. Shortly after doing this, I started noticing the mower acting like it didn't want to go up hills. In straight or light grades, the mower works well and goes full speed but on steeper grades it will sometimes just not go at all. On the rare occasion, it go slowly up the hill and then in the middle of the hill where the grade doesn't change, the mower will take off and go full speed again. On flat ground, the mower will still give me whiplash if I don't gently ease on the throttle.

So far I replaced the drive belt but that didn't help much. I thought it was the linkages for the accelerator binding or not traveling far enough so I sprayed them with WD-40, everything worked flawlessly for the next hour. The next week all was back to normal and the WD-40 trick didn't work any more. I tried adjusting the linkages to allow for more travel and it made the problem worse in both directions. I'm confused what else could be the problem.

Comments (6)

Sponsored