SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyinmexico_gw

simple blossoms vs. complex

nancyinmexico
17 years ago

Hi all,

I am new to AVs, with just a year or so under my belt. All my plants are NOIDs. I have three colors currently (white with purple-edged flowers, Purple and a pinkish purple). I also have some leaves that are unknown for the present but have roots (gifts from another friend). Over 80% of my actual plants are offsprings of the first violet (pinkish purple) that a friend here in Chiapas gave me.

I have a puzzle though... I recently started selling off my extra AVs that are blooming. The folks down here in Mexico keep asking me if I have plants that are simple blossoms or complex.

The confusing issue for me is that some of my plants (pinkish purple) have the simple 5 petal flowers and their sister plants have flowers that appear to have more petals?! What is normal? They are all from the same mother plant, how can this be? Do I tell the people they are simple or complex? Is there a wild gene being expressed here or is there a reason some appear to have more petals than normal?

Some of the five petal flowers though, look like they may be forming a few more petals. Could it just be that the "simple" looking ones aren't fully developed yet?

I wish I knew how to post pictures here so I could show you the two side by side.

Joy in the Journey,

Nancy in Mexico

Comments (3)