SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rjinga

Weed control in a clay area

rjinga
16 years ago

I have a question for the group (rather than piggybacking on a similiar recent post regarding lasagna beds, I thought I'd just ask this separately.

I have a rather large area (approx 40 feet deep and about 100 feet long) and it is moderately covered with weeds and the scattered kudzu (I've been keeping the kudzu pulled up whenever I see it and I had this area plowed 2 times this year to break up the kudzu)...I have also had this area weed free not that long ago, but they are back strong...I need this area to be plantable, Ideally part for a garden and then grass in the rest...as it is now, my husband wont run his new riding mower over it and it's a mess...

I'm going to attempt to do something like a lasagna bed, because it sounds like that might be the best bet to get the weeds under control...I'll use either newspaper or cardboard or both, and then I have 2 truck loads of municipal compost and a big pile of top soil left over from some yard work...I also have a chipper/mulcher? that I could use to munch up a whole field of kudzu...BUT I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT WANT THIS STUFF TO GROW FROM THE CHUNKS....I dont know how far any of the materials I have on hand will cover. So I'm going to try to get pine straw and leaves from a recycling group I belong to online.

questions:

1.how long does this need to be down before the weeds will actually stop growing? And what if I dont necessarily want to plant anything in it for awhile?

2. How often do you water the bed after it's in place? Any other supplements need to be added?

3. Do you REALLY NOT need to remove the weed/plants that are there first? this seems counter productive. (plus see photos below, I have a bunch of tall weeds)

4. Do you need leaves or some brown material (like in a compost mix)

5. Will this really work for reducing the weeds and once and for all get this area under control...I know of course that weeds and weeding are an ongoing effort, but I just need something to stop or slow down the rate it's now growing at....because as fast as I pull them up, there are new stuff growing back in.

I'm going to include a photo of the types of weeds/plants etc I'm dealing with and I sure would appreciate any tips. It seems that I really have about 5 plants/weeds here. Morning glory, a scattered kudzu, grass, and 2 other unknowns.

(my property line is NOT the huge kudzu behind the mound, it's about where the dirt line is)

{{gwi:303568}}

{{gwi:304810}}

(this one is the hardest to pull up, roots break off and it has to be dug up)

{{gwi:304811}}

{{gwi:304812}}

{{gwi:304813}}

(this one is the most prevelant in the whole area, and fortunately, it comes up very easily)

{{gwi:304814}}

{{gwi:303569}}

{{gwi:303570}}

Comments (5)