SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
themadhedger

Oak tree Vs Conifer - advice requested

themadhedger
15 years ago

I have a few conifers of moderate to large sizes in one of my boundaries - I've just noticed that an Oak sapling is growing at the base of one of the conifers - I have only in fact noticed it this year as it's just got to the right height and width to show its branches outside of the shelter of the conifer (not sure what type of conifer it is - it has yellowish-green leaves and clusters of rather small fir cones).

The trunk of the Oak is about 1.5 inches in diameter, the trunk of the conifer about 5 inches in diameter.

The Oak is growing right at the base of the conifer, its trunk emanating from the ground at an angle so they both make a V shape (the conifer trunk is vertical, the oak trunk at about a 45 degree angle - it gradually straightens about a foot along the trunk where it almost goes up vertically); it's almost touching the trunk of the conifer at the very base.

I like the idea of having an Oak where it is and have trimmed back some of the conifer branches to give the Oak more light and water, but I don't want to cut back the conifer too hard as it's nice and bushy and gives good cover and privacy.

Should I leave them be and see which one 'wins' the battle for light and water?

Thanks

Comments (16)