SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miclino

Pow wow series

miclino
10 years ago

I know some have not been crazy about them but these are solid performers for me
White
{{gwi:256786}}

wildberry
{{gwi:256787}}

Comments (10)

• crunchpa
    10 years ago

Its invaluable to see the photos of good performers in posters gardens. I grow tired of under performing plants. To much wasted time and effort. Thanks for your input.

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

I find the Pow Wow series to be great performers in my garden as well. Another good series has been the Sombrero Series. The plants are compact and have an abundance of flowers that open correctly and look great.

I had almost given up on echinaceas because the most recent cultivars have looked beautiful in the catalog but performed poorly and ended up being a huge waste of money.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    10 years ago

Your 'Pow Wow' plants look lovely! I am one of the ones who did not have luck with this series, my 'Wildberry' plants being weak, sickly growers (none survived the winter) and with a washed out, pale pink color. Nothing like the wonderful dark pink in your photo!

The one echinacea that is truly surprising me is 'Milkshake' which came as an unexpected freebie with an order last year. When I got it I thought to myself "Ugh, another echinacea that is going to die..", so I planted it just any old place with no thought or planning. And now, just to mock me, it has grown into a robust, healthy clump loaded with vigor and beautiful, creamy white flowers. Problem is, I mainly wanted to grow echinacea due to their attractiveness to insect pollinators and I think 'Milkshake' with its fully double flowers has no pollen or nectar to offer! Sigh... It is beautiful though, much more so than it appears in photos. Much more striking and elegant than shasta daisies.

So that has been my experience with echinacea so far. The ones I start from seed and lovingly tend thinking they are going to be stunning = duds. The ones I get for free and plunk in an unfavorable location thinking they are going to be duds = stunning.

Here is a quick snapshot of 'Milkshake' taken with my phone from a week ago when it started to unfurl its petals. Other plants are Geranium 'Rozanne', Agastache 'Blue Blazes', Eryngium giganteum and Geum 'Totally Tangerine'.

• pippi21
    10 years ago

Flower-frenzy..I have two Pow Wow Wildberry euchinaceas that returned out of the 3 plants I purchased last year and I'm so happy. I didn't know there was a white variety..I love the pink ones..not much of a white flower lover. Did you by any chance save any of your seeds from yours last year and plant more. I haven't been to the garden center but once and I bought some marigolds, and petunias. I had plenty of flowers from 3 years of wintersowing. I would love to have more of the pink Pow Wow wildberry Euchinaceas..do you think the garden centers would still have any this time of the year? It has been so unbearably hot(90-100)for past few weeks and I'm betting a lot of garden centers can't keep up with the watering or it's so hot, the watering isn't doing any good and they will lose a lot of their perennials.

• Sammywillt
    10 years ago

I have never seen the wildberry live and in person ,how close is the color in your picture compared to real life?

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

My Pow Wow White are doing well this year also. They are in part-shade and so are stretching a bit and not quite as floriferous as the pic above, but quite nice nonetheless. So, I'm pleased so far, but this is only the first full season in the ground.

I wasn't thrilled with the color of the PW Wildberry in person. It is more vibrant than the traditional purplish-pink varieties (e.g. Magnus), and for this reason it would be hard for me to use it in my garden - it would clash with a lot of the stuff I have, to my eye, at least.

• Marie Tulin
    10 years ago

They are strong and deep colored in my garden. I'm happy. They are staying, unlike pink double delight which a) died b)what didn't die looks like cr..p. Really, like the runt of the litter. Actually, I'd take pity on the runt of the litter and hand-feed it. This plant just annoys me everyday when I think how much I spent on it. Tomorrow...gone.!

• linlily
    10 years ago

Sammywillt, Pow Wow Wildberry is very close to the darkest colored flowers in the above picture. Mine is a very saturated color and I find that it looks wonderful with just about anything in bloom near it. What an amazing plant it is. It blooms and blooms and blooms. Right now, it is near some different colored blooming daylilies. Before, it had started blooming as my red dwarf Lupine was finishing up behind it.

I can highly recommend it. I love mine.

Linda

• flower_frenzy
    10 years ago

Pippi-I didn't save any seeds from last season, so I don't know how the seeds do in producing plants that are true to the original. My garden center had a whole bunch of the Pow Wow Wildberry plants just last week. You may check at your garden center and see if they have any left.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    10 years ago

I have to say - I am *very* impressed with Pow Wow White. Since I originally posted on 7/20/13, they have turned into little blooming machines! They are right in front of my picture window, and I couldn't be more pleased. The bees and insects are enjoying them, too :0)

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath