SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryman135678

Rainy day turned sunny

berryman135678
12 years ago

So about a week and a half ago we got 14" of rain in one night. Weathermen said last year after a 9" followed by 6" rain was a 100 year rain....time sure flies when your bailing out your basement.

So we were cleaning up the basement and realized the low side of the house settled and the water under the house wasn't draining and we had to tear up and re-excavated that side.

I know your thinking whats this have to do with compost but bear with me I'm getting to it.

Well I was devastated because the grass that was doing so great, even though my soil is clay, the compost I added over the years really helped. Now its all tore up and I had to start over.

So the dirty deed is done (no pun intended) and I have grass seed on clay and its gonna take years to get it back to where it was.

I am out back this morning wondering if I should take the compost from my pile and use it on the grass or keep my promise to myself and use it only on the garden... when I looked over and totally forgot about my cat litter compost experiment and was over joyed to find only 6 months worth produced a nice pile.

I have been using wood pellets for litter and have a separate composter for it. The feces and urine helped to break down the pellets which turn to saw dust. When I opened the bottom doors I found the ants made nest tunneling through out the compost adding more air. Its amazing stuff and it wont go on the garden or near anything edible but its a God send. I am finishing it out for a month and mixed a little compost with it to invite some worms. The great thing is I only took about a quarter of it and will have even more in the fall to get my grass going again.

{{gwi:304078}}

Comment (1)