SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jqpublic_gw

Blue Ash (Fraxinus quadrangulata)

jqpublic
13 years ago

Hi Folks,

So last fall I planted a 1-2' tall blue ash tree in my parents yard. We watered it well and it stayed nice and moist through the spring. But it is just taking forever to sprout mature leaves!!!

It's been opening slowly all spring since April Also, the green flowers are still on the tree and the leaves are just beginning to unfurl. I know they aren't native to this part of the US, but they grow down to Arkansas so I thought it would do ok here.

I have always found the blue ash interesting due to it's four-sided twigs, but I want it to be a happy tree too. They grow best on calcerous soils like those atop limestone (which I don't have). Should I amend the soil to make it more calcerous?

They say the trees grow well on problem sites so I didn't think it would have any trouble in my yard. As far as I can tell the tree is healthy, but it is just taking forever to sprout! Is patience still the best advice this far into the season?

It gets full sun in our backyard lawn. We have regular nc red clay. The tree was mulched with about a 2-3' ring all around the tree. My parents hire a lawn crew to do the lawn and I know they sprayed around the many saplings to kill weeds in March/April. Could this be the problem?

Any help would be great. thanks!

Comments (16)