SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arbo_retum

Livening Up a Daylily Border? Help!

arbo_retum
13 years ago

My Love has always loved daylilies. When we first started here 23 yrs ago, we bought lots of daylilies. Believe or not, as we got more and more packed in our beds, and as trees began to replace sun, we lost almost half of them. sigh.bad bad girl, bad bad me.

3 yrs ago, the town narrowed the main drag we live on, and installed a sidewalk. I succeeded in having them place the sidewalk to abut the street so that we could plant as much as possible as far away as possible from road salt (lots.)>>>new 5' deep bed all along the front and side of the property, abutting the all day hot full sun sidewalk.

In the rear of the beds we have shrubs every 4 or 5', (neillia;calicarpus; cornus ivory halo;Ppl.:sambucus,

cotinus, sumac)// with red or yellow daylilies all along the front of the 40' border.Pennisetum moudry, salvia argentea,amsonia hub. at driveway end.

So, the daylilies , being 3-4 wks ahead like everything else this year, are almost done and of course they look pretty dreadful, as usual. In June I liked the interspersed ornithogolum magnum in there, tall white spires above the green swath underneath.Right now there is some self seeded ppl.perilla there, which is good color foil and it gets tall- to draw your eye up from the ugh.

So, here's the question. Can you think of any tall bold flowering thing that would work interplanted w/ these guys that wouldn't intrude too much on those already stressed (drought) daylily roots, and that would definitely bloom AFTER the d.l. go by(now,not fall)?Perennial, bulb, easily obtained nursery annual?(btw, I am NOT good w/ seeds!) cleome? crocosmia, coreopsis tripteris?(I don't grow these and don't know when they bloom etc.) If nothing else, then a hibiscus placed in the rear? All our other perennials about to bloom now- require good moisture or are thugs: rudbeckia, heliopsis,eupatorium. Veronicastrum and verbascum have been blooming for awhile.

Any brilliant ideas out there? Much appreciated!

best,

mindy

www.cottonarboretum.com/

a teaching website

Comments (30)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio