SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

;Is my Yellowwood tree likely to survive?

katrina1
16 years ago

A person who does a lot of landscaping told my daughter that this tree I planted in her backyard last fall is dead.

It is an eight foot tall Yellow tree which leafed out nicely and began to show signs of getting ready to bloom just prior out our Easter freeze.

After the freeze all it's leaves died and then several weeks later the tree releafed. It rained alot for several weeks after that, and the tree's branches grew longer until we had two weeks with no rain. After that, with out first discussing it with me, my daughter chose not to water the tree, because she thought the soil would still be moist enough for it not to need supplimental watering.

A couple of weeks ago, the first time I saw it, the leaves on the tree were very dry. I told her to water it deeply whenever the soil seemed dry three inches down. The tree now has bare branches that look very dead. Even a person she knows who does a lot of landscaping told her that the tree was dead.

After he told her that, I checked the tree and there was still green just under the bark on the trunk, when I did a scratch test. since then we have had several very good rains.

Does it sound like this tree will be able to recover enough to survive the expected hot and humid July and beyond heat, which this tree is expected to experience beginning only a few weeks from now?

I know the tree was still alive when I saw the green under the trunk's bark. But with no current leafing out and with it being so newly planted is there any chance for it to recover? Also should I now prune away any of the top trunk and branches of the tree, which I find currently do not show green under the bark?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Art Masonry Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars132 Reviews
Loudon County's Hardscape and Landscape Expert in Outdoor Living