SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurili

Pink Cl Maman Cochet is always droopy and ages to brown paper

laurili
13 years ago

Hello Rose Lovers,

I apologize if this has been talked about before. I searched "Cl. Maman Cochet" and didn't find any discussions. When Tom Leggett was going out of business in 2001, I ordered a bunch of roses, and got some surprises as well. One was a Cl. Maman Cochet. I planted it on an arch (with sombreuil on the other side) and kind of like it, except the flowers always droop in a way that makes me feel like a bad plant mother, and then they fade to an ugly papery brown glob and stay on the plant, and don't shatter. A lot of them are above where I can reach to dead head. So my plant frequently just looks ugly.

I am a laissez-faire gardener, and only get out to weed/deadhead etc. every few weeks/months. My other roses have their problems, but they are things I can identify! I finally tried to look up Maman Cochet, and it looks like they are frequently droopy under the weight of the flowers.

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do to make this rose look better? Do I just have to reconcile myself to getting a ladder to deadhead this rose? Does anyone have a link for more info Pink Cl.Maman Cochet?

I am seriously considering taking it out of this prime spot and putting in another rose, that doesn't droop or need to be deadheaded to be pretty. But it's 10 years old and established so I'd rather not disturb it if I can figure out how to make it prettier.

Thanks for your consideration!

Lauri

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH