SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
krycek1984

Tulip Tree?

krycek1984
13 years ago

Well, I made a post about a sick maple tree I planted on my tree lawn (the space between the sidewalk and street), and no responses, so I shall rip it out and put something else in.

I live in a very urban area (A few miles from downtown). All the treelawns are FILLED with gorgeous, huge, old trees. Lots of sycamores, sweetgums, and some elms. London plane trees too, looks like.

The tree lawn is about 4-5 feet wide...fairly wide for the city. I DESPERATELY want to plant a tulip tree but I am terrified that it will 1. Suffer because of inadequate root room and 2. The aphids will make ugly black droppings on the cars that park underneath.

Thoughts?

Maple was perfect because of the ability to grow in slight shade (dappled shade from the other large trees) and "hardiness" but apparently it's not so hardy!

I'm also considered honey locust, possibly. I bought my mom a "Cleveland Select" but i cannot plant it here due to the possible falling branches on vehicles.

I figure if all the other tree lawns i nthe neighborhood support monsters like sycamore I may be able to support the tulip tree, just afraid that there will be a carpet of black goo.

Thoughts???????

(P.S., the darned monkeyballs are so prolific around here that they form giant piles in the street if not sweeped".

Comments (28)