SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Need some design ideas for two beds

kentstar
10 years ago

I am getting tired of the looks of my two front raised beds. I have a few hostas in there that are looking smaller and shabbier year after year, heucheras that need dividing but are underperformers anyway, brunneras that look black all summer or at least brown and yucky no matter what I do, you get the picture. lol Just need a new look :)

I'm thinking of tearing everything out in spring and redoing the beds. I don't know...

The beds face west and are next to my street so everyone can see the beds that drives by. The beds are 2 feet deep and long by 14 feet wide.

I want something a little taller than what's planted there now (heucheras, small hostas like Rainforest Sunrise and Fragrant Blue, tiarellas, and brunnera Jack Frost).

I also would like more color. The hostas, heucheras add some color but not much. Boring...

Don't get me wrong, I do love the Rainforest Sunrise hostas, and my colored heucheras such as Peach Flambe, Obsidian, and Citronelle, Georgia Peach.

The bed gets sun from about noon until sundown. All afternoon yikes! A big oak tree provides some shade for the one bed but not much for the other.

Since it is a raised bed it'll have to have plants or shrubs, etc that can survive my NE Ohio winters.

I can't even think of any ideas!

I want at least spring through summer flowering if possible, color, and fill.

Not too much to ask ;)

Thanks
kentstar

Here are pics above

Comments (22)