SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
giantshark18_gw

Replacefor Front Yard Magnolia Tree?

giantshark18
14 years ago

We have a very nice looking Magnolia tree in our front yard. However every year, starting in mid-spring, it makes a mess of the yard with leaves and flower pedals getting all over the place. All the work the gardeners do is undone in one day. The only way to cut down on the mess is to trim the tree to where their are only leaves on the very tips of each branch. I am sure this is not good for the tree.

If anyone knows of a way to cut down on the shedding, we would prefer this as we like the tree.

If this is just how magnolia trees are, we may look into removing the tree and planting something else. We would want a tree that will end up similar in size and will block the sun from the house as it keeps the hot afternoon sun from bearing down on our living room. Preferably it would have leaves year round, but this is not required. We just have noticed that being in Norther CA, the trees here don't lose there leaves fully until December, and since this is after the rains have started, it can make for a mess. How are Royal Empress Trees?

Below is a link to the picture of the tree. Pardon the focus on the truck, I took this picture when asking a question on a Toyota forum. It is the best picture I could find of the tree and my digital camera is MIA.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:366391}}

Comments (6)