SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pt03

Straw bale/compost filtration

Lloyd
14 years ago

Here is what I am thinking of doing...

When the machine shed was built, the builder didn't raise it enough to prevent water from flowing through it during heavy or prolonged periods of rain. To prevent this, we dug a 4 foot deep by 3 foot wide by 30 foot long trench in front of it, filled it with course gravel and placed a 45 gallon drum with holes drilled in it with a submersible pump inside. This pumps the water past the building to a lower elevation and the water then flows away.

I want to capture that water for my composting. I have a 1250 gallon plastic tank I no longer use that I want to have the water pumped into. The area in front of the shed obviously gets minute amounts of oils and other liquids spilled there, so all that flows into the trench with the water. I would like to filter this water prior to it entering the tank.

I am thinking of a layer of tightly packed (wheat) straw bales with 6 inches of compost on top then another layer of tightly packed straw bales. The water would be dispersed over the top and allowed to gravity feed through the straw/compost and be collected at the bottom and then pumped into the tank. So the water would pass through a total of 28 inches of straw and 6 inches of compost. I could easily do more straw for more filtration.

After one season I would then shred the bales/compost with the manure spreader into a windrow with other yard waste and be composted for a couple of years. This material would then be spread over the farm fields.

I seem to recall some of the members having some wastewater background so I'm wondering if this is a project worth trying. I have all the necessary equipment to do it so nothing has to be purchased. I'm not trying to get drinking quality here just clean enough to be used in the other composting endeavours.

Thoughts?

Lloyd

Comments (7)