SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gringojay

Cactus bacteria innoculant

gringojay
14 years ago

I have semi-arid land with some sea bed volcanic out-croppings that are bare, yet grow cactii .

The cactus have strains of bacteria that grow not only on the root surfaces but inside the root as well.

N.W. Center for Biological Research in the Journal of Experimental Botany relays that these bacteria are capable of growing inside the cactus fruit and therefore are in the seeds. (The cactus fruit eaters then "sow" cactus seed elsewhere that is already innoculated.)

The carbon in cactus roots is used by the bacteria & the enzyme activity of these type of cactus bacteria physically dissolves the volcanic rock surface. Once the bacteria alter the volcanic rock the cactus plant can take in the freed minerals and the plant grows. Nitrogen (N) is also made available to the cactus by bacteria.

With the break down of volcanic rock initiated by the bacteria the cactus root system develops & it is then that anchoring root penetration occurs.

I have taken up some of this type of cactus & collected dry specimen samples from the root zone for innoculating my experimental fertilizer preparations. It still needs to be done with a little more science; like on petri dish agar & getting a peek to see what the players are.

Some of you microbe enthusiasts living near indigenous cactii might find yourselves an interesting herd to round up. The innoculant would apparently be stable in heat.

They can't bite your finger, but eat volcanic rock - somebody please make us a riddle.

I am thinking that innoculating lava rock chips might be beneficial for those who use soil-less growing mediums.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting