SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
south40

1990 Snapper RER troubleshooting electrical question

south40
16 years ago

I bought a used one 3 days ago for $200. It's a B&S 12 hp 4 cycle with both electric and manual starters. It ran and mowed. The seller gave me the electrical troubleshooting guide he downloaded and used to get it going. He disabled 2 of the kill switches. He changed out the carburator for one from another engine rather (to save $) and suggested the engine might run better if I bought the rebuild kit for the original or bought a new carburator. He also gave me the numbers I would need (model/engine/etc.) to buy parts. He kindly loaded the RER into my truck.

My friend helped unload it and it still ran and mowed. He noticed it was dirty and dry. He cleaned it, upended it, got to work with the grease gun, and sharpened the blade.

Now he thinks he did something wrong because it won't start. Since then he's been troubleshooting and is certain it's electrical. After 2 days of trying his own methods, he's now following the same electrical guide the seller used and finally got it to pop (fire) but it still won't start.

Now he's adjusting the magnatron and just noticed that a screw-bolt is missing from the flywheel.

If anyone has any ideas, please let us know.

Thanks.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions