SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kobrinl

Honda RTR3009

kobrinl
15 years ago

My neighbor gave me a Honda rear engine rider. It started up with old gas and barley an oil in it. We could not shut it off without pulling the plug. I had the local Honda guy pick it up and check it out. It needs about 900 dollars worth parts/labor/delivery to get it running in good shape. I know I could buy a new Sears tractor for that amount. The Sears tractors take up to much space in my garage while the Honda will fit in my shed. I also looked at a used Snapper rider but it only had the clamshell bagger. The new snapper are overpriced.

So the quesiton is, should I have it fixed?

Comments (5)

• tomplum
    15 years ago

I would have to think real hard on that one. What is the dealer going to do for the money? Many Honda riders are falling by the wayside due to exorbitant repairs. But the question really is, can you find anything similar that you can depend on and like as well? Snapper still makes RER's and you would get a warranty.

• kobrinl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The dealer charges are 100 delivery/ 200 labor/450 parts/169 general service. If storage was not an issue I would buy a tractor. The nice thing about the Honda is it has a two bin bagger. I am only going to use the Honda to clean up my leaves in the fall. So it would only be used 6 times a year.

Any other words of wisdom from anyone? I am leaning towards doing it.

• shawnt7
    15 years ago

Well . . . if you like it . . . it should be almost like new when you get it back, I'd prefer to do the work myself, but . . . what kinda parts is he gonna replace for that kinda money?

Shawn

• kobrinl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My neighbor left it outside and the mice ate some of the wiring. Thats why it won't shut off. The big issue is some of the pulley's and belt need to be change on the bottom of the deck. If I had the time I would try to do some of the work myself. I just don't have the time.

• larso1
    15 years ago

I think that's too much money to put into a RER that's been sitting outside, even one that hasn't been. And I don't think they are supported by Honda anymore, at least in this country (correct me if I'm wrong). Storage space seems to be a big issue with you (and it is for many other people). I would look for a nice used Snapper RER...they're dependable, they've been making them forever and still do, and of course you can always get parts. But the big plus for you is you can stand them on their back end for storage (and cleaning). You should be able to get a nice one for $900, going by what I see on ebay.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions