SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brother_cadfael

My newest piece of structure for the garden...

brother_cadfael
14 years ago

is an 11' tripod trellis I've been working on since Friday evening and just finished up before lunch today.

At the moment there are 3 'Abraham Darby' growing at it's feet, (they've been in that spot for about 3 years), but it will soon be home to the climber 'Isabella Skinner' I got from Ashdown last year.

I love the blooms on Abe but due to our zone 5 winter dieback the bush lacks everything a shrub rose should be and acts like a HT, with wiry and lanky stems swaying everywhere. I'll just have to put them somewhere else, I love them too much to compost... yet.

It's made out of Redwood, (from responsible managed sources), stainless steel screws, polyurethane glue, and 40" of 1/2" copper pipe anchoring it to the ground at each leg.

Of course the day I finish it and am ready to install it there are gail force winds all day. Maybe you can see one of the downed branches from the 70' Ash tree in the background of the first pic. I had to have my little helper stand on the trellis while I was pounding the anchors in the ground just to keep it from blowing over. The roses look like heck from all the rain from 2 weeks ago, the heat from last week, and now today the wind. Hopefully things will calm down for the 2nd flush.

Here are some pics:

{{gwi:281520}}

{{gwi:281521}}

{{gwi:281522}}

{{gwi:281523}}

{{gwi:281524}}

Is it worthy of a rose garden?

In case you're wondering, I chose to make the finial in the shape of an arrowhead due to my Wisconsin pride. :^)

Thanks for looking,

Rob

BC:)

Comments (31)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting