SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Garden area prep mistake--need advice

I should have known better. It was last October and I had ordered a few hundred miniature naturalizing bulbs and thought I had the perfect place to put them. It was an area @ 20x10 that had never been planted and had been covered with broken slate from an old roof for years. I cleaned up the slate and pulled up the rhizomes of tall weeds, plus virginia creeper vines and trucked in several wheel barrow loads of compost. Then I planted my bulbs. It looked great in the spring, albeit dotty. I'd have to wait for the bulbs to multiply and self seed. I over-sowed with packets of annual poppies--my first time planting any.

Meanwhile, as spring wore on I discovered that my early efforts had led to the sprouting of all kinds of noxious weeds--especially dock, poke, pigweed and lambsquarters and the Virginia creeper also returned with poison ivy to boot. I pulled what I could, but treatment was complicated by still maturing bulb foliage and poppies in bloom. Every time I disturbed the dirt, it seemed like more weeds cropped up.

So, now what? The poppies are about done and the bulbs are pretty much dormant and I've got all this soil once again about to be exposed by clearing dead foliage i.e. sun+moisture=more weeds. How do I get rid of my perennial weed problem? I'm afraid to use the newspaper/mulch smothering technique due to the small bulbs beneath. And, what could I eventually plant that looks good over the bulbs that I want to multiply ? (It's a somewhat westerly facing site with kind of dense soil from not having been worked).

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting