SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

Coast Redwoods and Giant Sequoias in the Southeast

treeguy123
16 years ago

Today I received these from Forest Farm in very good condition:

1 Coast Redwood (Sequoia sempervirens)

1 Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum)

1 Gray Birch (Betula populifolia)

1 Quaking Aspen (Populus tremuloides)

I potted each one in about 12 inch wide pots Because they are Not dormant and they have leafed out and we are currently in a unusual extreme drought, also because I think they would adjust better to our soil if I plant them in the ground a little later after they grow a larger root system in the pots.

Im reading conflicting information on the internet and I want everybody elseÂs idea of how well the Coast Redwood and Giant Sequoia will do here in the Southeast. Our climate is humid subtropical which mainly has cool rainy winters (average winter lows: 30F, extreme low: 0F) And Humid, pretty hot, scattered showery summers (Average summer highs: 90F, extreme high: 100F) (creek hollows are cooler). Some sites say the Redwood is not suited to the southeastern United States and some say they grow fine here.

USDA zone here is 7a/7b and upland soil is heavy loam clay (hard when dry, sticky when wet) The Lowland Soil is more organic, moist, and drains better.

What my current thinking is that the Giant Sequoia might be able to grow on the upland site as a yard tree OK, right? Because IÂve read they have some drought tolerance? And the Coast Redwoods would struggle on the upland because of occasional moisture stress but would do well in the moist lowland site in a deep hollow that is highly sheltered from wind, lightning, and extreme heat.

Someday I would like to establish several Coast Redwoods and Giant Sequoias in the moist sheltered hollow so seeds can be produced since they are both dioecious (Having male and female flowers on separate trees).

So if anybody has any ideas on what they can and canÂt withstand and/or growing conditions please let me know. (Also if anybody has info on how well Gray birch or Quaking Aspen does here let me know also).

Note: This is one of the sites that say they can grow here:

Redwood Link

Thanks very much.

Comments (55)