SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodyoak

Fun (successful!) shopping expedition today :-)

DH and I went to a wholesale nursery that also sells retail ($5.99 for 1 gal. pots). It's out in the country so lots of weed seeds blowing around - you usually have to remove a weed or two from the pots! Also, since they propagate the plants there, depending on the plant and the time of year, some of them are not well rooted yet, so you need to pay attention to what you're buying. For instance, they had just brought the mums out from the potting shed this morning so the plants are still very small as they have just been transplanted from the rooted cutting stage. I'm debating whether to grow them on for a bit in the pots or plant them in the ground now. I'm leaning towards planting them as we had almost 1" of rain last night and the weather is supposed to be relatively cool for the next few days with a chance of rain each day. Since all the mums will be going into the driveway borders, it should be easy to keep them watered.

{{gwi:252782}}
{{gwi:252783}}
{{gwi:252784}}

In the cart are:
- 'Magnum' heuchera (see other thread)
- 2 'Blackout' heucheras
- 'Red October' hosta - very cute red stems!
- 'Gray Cole' hosta - our little poodle is named Cole and his coat is black with some areas of gray mixed in - I couldn't resist this hosta!
-'Dark Pink Mammoth mum
- 2 'Dreamweaver' mums
- 'Tigertail' mum
- Red Mammoth mum

The non-Mammoth mums appear to be bred in Manitoba and are supposed to be very hardy. Looking at images of the Mammoth ones on the Internet made me unsure if I'd like the dense-dome effect that appears in quite a few of the pictures. So I decided to just try a few to see how they compare to the more usual look of the mums. The color of the Red Mammoth also varies a lot in pictures and the size of the year 2 plant worries me a bit re placement. So I thought I'd pot that one up, overwinter it in the garage, and wait until next year to asses were it should be placed.

Now I need the weather to cooperate for the next few days....

Comments (11)