SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dooley_of_gw

Servicing an MTD 820 transaxle

dooley
16 years ago

Still having a problem with the shift linkage sticking and not wanting to go into gear that easily. When I do get it into gear by tapping (or hitting) the shift lever it works just fine , leading me to believe there really isn't much wrong with the trans axle itself , its the shifting mechanism.

This is an older tractor we bought second hand a couple of years ago and runs just fine , has a tiller and grass catcher to boot.

Probably should open it up and see what's inside and if I can see what's wrong. The only problems being:

I don't have a service manual detailing how to remove and disassemble the thing.(ie you undo the wrong bolt, a spring and bearing fly out that you can never find ,and they are a special order from the manufacturer costing about as much as a replacement transaxle would).

Do have a parts manual that has an exploded view of the transaxle though.

I don't have much (actually never done it before in my life) experience and my tool kit consists of a crescent wrench,ball peen hammer and a set of screwdrivers :D. (exageration of course)

Wondering if it's a wise thing to open it up with my VERY limited experience , leave it alone and hope for the best or bite the bullet and spring for a new mower.

Any suggestions or directions to helpful web sites would be appreciated.

Service department you say?? With labour rates what they are that's downright scary.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions