SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
diggerdee

Is this a bog? Help please (very long)

I help my friend in her garden often, and she has this bed along a creek. I'm not sure if this qualifies as a bog, but I'm looking for ideas. Despite the fact that the creek is a good foot below the garden level, and in three years I've never seen it overflow, the area is quite wet, consistently.

Overview of the area:

{{gwi:252103}}

The garden is to the right of the shed, and the creek runs along behind it; on the left is a sea of weeds - jewel weed, I think. In this photo from higher up the small hill, you can see tire marks from her lawn service, even this far out from the area. This may help give an idea of how wet this area is. Last rain was 5 days ago:

{{gwi:252104}}

The creek is behind the garden to the right of the shed. Funny thing is, it is much wetter on the LEFT side of the shed! Can't figure this out!

Area to the left of the shed. The brown at the base of the weeds is standing water:

{{gwi:252105}}

Garden to the right of the shed:

{{gwi:252106}}

{{gwi:252107}}

So, since her lawn service can't mow the grass half the time, our idea is to make a path to the shed, pretty much centered in the current grassy area (see first photo above for reference). We want to bring the garden farther out from the creek to meet the path. We're not sure yet how to deal with the left-hand side area yet - it would be a huge job to clear these weeds and keep it weed free.

Questions:

1) Can we do a lasagna type thing here to extend the garden? Or will the wetness not work with lasagna-style gardening?

2) What are some good plants for this type of area? We need things that will look good when left on their own, since sometimes we can't get in here for days or weeks, due to wetness. Any evergreens which will do well for winter interest?

3) How does one mulch an area like this? (thinking of weed prevention, not looks)

4)Suggestions on dealing with the left side of the shed? Instead of trying to clear ALL those weeds, what do you think of just adding a bed in front of the weeds and then just trying to keep the weeds out of that particular area?

The bed gets pretty much half sun/half shade (both sides).

Already in the bed are a hydrangea, astilbes, peonies, bleeding hearts, a hosta, ferns, (siberian?) iris. All these seem to really thrive here, so we could add more. We also have a ligularia waiting to be planted. Oh, and there's also either solidago or ragweed here. She says she never planted solidago, and I can't tell the difference, so...

If you are still with me after this long post, thank you! LOL! And any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

:)

Dee

P.S. The ironic thing is, this friend also has just about the driest shade bed I've ever seen! Talk about gardening in extremes!

Here is a link that might be useful: more photos of creek and bed

Comments (11)