SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merlcat

Blind growth and candelabras on 1st year bare root roses

merlcat
11 years ago

I have what seems to be lots of blind growth on my roses. Most newly planted (bare root) this season. I imagine it was the result of the really early warm weather and then some cooler nights, just cold enough to damage the tender tips in some instances. Would this cause the tips to have died, hence, the blind growth? I am more inclined to think it is weather related than insect related. Many of the roses that are a couple years old have this, too. Some of these never really went dormant this winter. The odd weather lead me to pruning decisions I was not sure what to do about.

Since these bushes are so new, should I cut these small canes back to a 5 leaf set, even if the growth is short and only a couple/three sets of leaves? I have not done so yet, after reading that the bushes may be better off with all the existing leaves since they are so young. The leaves in these instances are smaller than many of the others on the bush, not the mature looking leaves on the canes that did not seem to have the die back of the tender tips.

Maybe I should prune these back only in the spring so that the growth results in canes/blooms and not more blind growth?

I did allow these new bushes to bloom, even though I probably should have removed the blooms to allow more strength to go to roots. I wanted to see if they were true to their labels though, so I went ahead and allowed them to bloom. Some formed candelabras, as well as some of my two and three year old bushes, as well as blind growth.

Would it be better to cut off the whole candelabra down to a five leaf set, or only to a three on the newer bushes? How about the older ones?

Any opinions would be very welcome! I am in (newly designated) zone 7a. Thanks!!

Comments (4)