SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anna_beth_gw

young Eden - thickest canes split lenghtwise at joint - cut off?

anna_beth
15 years ago

Hi, I have a potted Eden rose (Meilland, aka Pierre de Ronsard) I bought bareroot this spring. The canes are between 1-2' tall. They were very thick and healthy at purchase and still look great. Unfortunately, I noticed a split between two of the thickest last year canes (those cut at the nursery and sealed with wax). Nothing's falling off or even moving in the wind yet but the split is there, the canes do come apart when I gently pull them.

I.e., the thick canes used to grow in the shape of a healthy, compact Y, and the upper canes of Y split lenthwise right at the joint, tearing about 1" deep into its base cane.

If I want to get rid of this split I would have to cut off the entire top of the Y AND its base branch. That would be about 50% of my plant :-( A non-blooming 50%, the 3 flower buds are on the other half of the plant, hooray!

But this year's canes growing from the split ones are the strongest and tallest - would these be "climbing canes" (we are talking 2 canes here)? Someone on helpmefind.com wrote that when they pruned "climbing canes" on Eden (as opposed to short canes) the rose wouldn't regrow them or bloom for several years. This isn't exactly my case because as I said the flowers are elsewhere, but I worry about cutting off any "climbing canes" - I once did so, by mistake, on Sympathy climber and it never grew them back.

OTOH do I have any choice now that they split? I suspect that if I allow the split to remain on the plant, it would probably only get worse with time, as the plant - hopefully - grows and puts more and more weight on the split base. I think it's inevitable that it would break off anyway and so it's better to cut it off now so that the plant uses its energy to produce fresh growth. Am I correct?

Please advise: 1. should I cut off, and 2. is it some special kind of growth, like irreplaceable "climbing canes", I'd be cutting off, or just regular canes like any other, which the plant will replace. The rose wasn't too cheap plus it's so goodlooking I'd love to keep it. I want to plant it in the ground in the fall.

Also question 3. Assuming the plant lives through the amputation, how far should I plant it from tree canopies? I'd like to plant it sort of between the trees surrounding the garden from the south and the central lawn which faces northwest. So the exposure would be northwest, hopefully 5-6 hours of sun. I was thinking 1 yard from where the canopies end? I think it would grow towards the sun anyway, away from the trees.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts,

Anna

Comments (4)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    15 years ago

Question - is Eden cane hardy where you are? If it's not, it isn't going to climb anyway. If it is, it won't have much trouble replacing canes that are cut off.

You could try duct taping the canes together and see if the crack heals. Given the age and size of the rose, that would probably be my first choice.

Track shade patterns with the trees. On the north side, the shade is going to go out beyond the canopy. It will grow towards the sun, but that isn't something you really want.

• anna_beth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm.. while last winter almost did not happen - the lowest temperatures we had were probably 15F, once every couple of years we do get a winter with some February nights below 0F. So I wouldn't say Eden is cane hardy where I live, at least not on those cold years I think. I've only read on forums that some people manage to grow it here but for how long - I don't know. So you are saying I will be growing this rose for a while and then one spring it just won't return. You are probably right.. It's not likely to ever get large. Yes, I have been tracking shadow cast by trees, there is also a garage there which casts shade. I'd probably plant it 2-3' from the canopies then and support it with a simple obelisk rather than worry about a pergola there :-)

I actually thought duct-taping the canes wouldn't work, I assumed it wouldn't heal since it's hard wood. Unfortunately, I have no experience growing roses at all. I think I'll try it, though, and see what happens. If it's only a matter of time before the rose dies in the winter, it doesn't matter much anyway, plus there won't be much of the heavyweight growth above the crack.

Thanks for the reality check :-)

Anna

• lemecdutex
    15 years ago

If you can save the canes by binding them together, that's the best thing to do, because the plant will have more stored food and all to grow new canes with. Cutting them off loses all that for them. I think most roses are hardy down to near zero (depending on how long it's at those temps), I never lost any (or even had damage) in Texas when it got down to 8°F.

--Ron

• anna_beth
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for a dose of optimism regarding rose hardiness :-) Usually I am to blame for any lost plants. In this case, I'm likely to find myself too lazy to protect the rose for the winter.. Well, I'll try not to :-)

Good point about storing food for growing new canes. The other 50% of the plant is really busy dealing with the flower buds and therefore short (I think). While all the tall growth is occurring on top of the cracked cane :-( I'll bind it and keep it, since both of you advise so.. Hopefully the bush will emit other canes from elsewhere next year as I somehow cannot believe the crack will heal.. and then I could cut it off.

Or perhaps I can keep this cane even if the crack doesn't heal? The dogs almost severed some branches on my junipers years ago and they just keep growing.. They do not mind. Would a rose behave in the same way?

Anna

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus