SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seedmama

Let's Start the Official 2008/9 WS Container Count Part 1

seedmama
15 years ago

As many of you know we do a container count every year. This is just a fun thing and is only supported by the members of this forum.

The data below is from the past 6 years.

02-03 total 21000+

03-04 total 47075

04-05 total 75093

05-06 total 51248

06-07 total 34407

07-08 total 30131

There have been many discussions as to what constitutes a " container " and how to fairly count them.

Because of the wide variety of methods used by WSers a specific definition is nearly impossible.

Some only sow a few seeds in smaller containers and then cover multiple containers or place them in a cold frame. Many sow a lot of seeds in 1 container like a milk jug.

I will not try to define a " container ". You use your own judgement. I will offer a couple of suggestions.

#1... If you use toilet paper rolls, newspaper pots , plant bands , paper cups, peat pots, etc and pack these together under one cover, then perhaps the best way to count these is to count the number of different seeds sown.

Example : 10 different kinds of seeds sown under 1 cover could be counted as 10 containers.

#2... 50 seeds sown in a milk jug or other larger container should count as 1 container.

Posting container count:

You may post your container count as many times as necessary. I will keep a running count.

Please post only NEW containers and not a running total . I will not know your previous count.

Example: If your 1st post is 30 containers and you later sow another 30 containers your 2nd post should reflect only the additional 30 containers.

You can post your total as long as you indicate the number of new containers.

Example: "Zone 5 : Add 30 more containers for me. My total is now 60. "

Remember to add your zone to each post so we can see totals by zone.

Zones will be only the number not the letter so zone 6a and 6b will both be under zone 6. If you don't know your zone use this link :

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/ushzmap.html

I will update the totals on a regular basis and start a new post as needed.

!!!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT START A NEW POST. !!!!!!! I need to receive the emails to make my job easier.

The count began on the solstice and will end the morning of May 1st at 8 am.

So....sow, sow, sow!

Comments (150)

Sponsored