SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drake1883

Murray Lawn Tractor Grounding Issue?

13 years ago

Ok, so I was having trouble starting my lawn tractor. Sometimes it would turn over, and other times, absoletely nothing. I took a voltage meter and tested the battery. It had 12.5 volts. I then tested the side of the selenoid that goes from the positive battery cable to the selenoid. It also had 12.5 volts. The other side of the selenoid going to the starter had nothing. I repalced the selenoid and still had nothing. I then removed the wires to the igntion. I was able to take a piece of wire and put it across the two terminals and it started to turn over. I then purchased a new ignition that was similar to the one I had installed, but it didn't have a place for the ground, so I was going find a way to attach it to the ignition. When I hooked the wires up and touched the ground to the ignition, it started sparking. I then left the ground off, and put the key in the ON position. I then noticed a small puff of smoke from the engine. What could this be? Why did the ground spark when it touched the ignition? Do I have a grounding issue, or did I install the ignition incorrectly?

Comment (1)