SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pteroceltis

Calling all rare tree collectors

pteroceltis
16 years ago

Hey guys. I hope all of your spring gardening experiences have been as good as mine so far. Thanks to a later than usual winter, most of our plants were still completely dormant when those horrendous freezes occurred that devastated so many amazing plants elsewhere on the East Coast.

Our maple collection is beginning to exceed its available space at our residence, so we will have to begin putting in plants at a nearby farm we own. In addition, I have decided to branch out and really start making a collection of some rarities, and an Oak collection is a definite possibility in the near future. Would anyone happen to have a reference on Oak botany/taxonomy? I plan on designing the collection in terms of botanical relationships, i.e.- Section Quercus (the white oak group), etc. I was also thinking of gathering a few unusual whitebeams, which we already have a couple of. Any ideas as to what we should pursue next? I've been trying to come up with ideas for some time and I know there are some very knowledgeable posters on this board that can provide some good input.

Our collections as they are now look like this, with a few notes on performance so far. For any of you guys in cooler zones, this might give you a few ideas on what might work for you, especially in terms of maples. New arrivals this spring have asterisks. Everything else has survived at least one of our infamous central new york winters:

Maple Collection:

Acer barbinerve; Mauled by deer, a few adventitious buds are starting to appear but does not look good.

Acer campestre; Would probably survive on Mars

Acer cappadocicum ssp. lobelii; Fully hardy, very fast grower, nice glossy foliage and yellow f/c; don't know why it isn't comonly planted?

Acer carpinifolium*

Acer ukurunduense; Sprouting back after being nearly killed in a drought year (the year it was planted). Nice red twigs and yellow f/c.

Acer circinatum*

Acer davidii ssp. grosseri*

Acer distylum*; Interesting shade of pink on leafout

Acer griseum; Badly damaged by tent caterpilars last year and in recovery mode, but doing well.

Acer griseum x pseudoplatanus*; Putative hybrid that to my knowledge has yet to be published; Obtained from forestfarm; it is advertised on Esveld's page and our plant looks identical to theirs; supposedly a slow grower but grew 8 inches before anything else even leafed out! If anyone knows more about this plant and/or its origins, let me know!

Acer henryi; Bright blue-green stems and gorgeous scarlet f/c. Ours might actually be Acer cissifolium, as the leaflets are deeply serrated, or are just reflecting the juvenile nature of our plant. Some sunscald on south-facing trunk and branches (as can be expected when you don't protect it during the winter!)

Acer longipes*; nice red color on leaf-out; looks very similar to our Acer pictum and A.c. lobelii.

Acer mandshuricum; nice red color on leaf out; no chlorosis despite growing on limestone.

Acer miaotaiense; Vigorous, nice yellow f/c. Leaves look very much like deeply-cut Acer miyabei. Fully hardy here in an exposed location.

Acer monspessulanum ssp. cinerascens; Weak grower. This is a relatively high-precip area and might just be too wet for this plant, which comes from the middle east. Leaves tiny, leathery; come out red and then turn reddish-orange in autumn.

Acer oliverianum*

Acer palmatum*; I've never seen just a normal, green, baseline example of the palmatum species. Now I have one.

Acer pectinatum ssp. laxiflorum*; Attractive snake-like bark; slow to leaf out; ours is grafted to ensure the purity of the subspecies.

Acer pensylvanicum; New arrival and not yet much to report. Wild collected from private land from a group of exceptionally blue-green colored plants in the Old Forge area of the Adirondack Mountains where lows can supposedly approach -50.

Acer pictum; still recovering from a drought year that nearly killed it. Looks great this year, leafed out red-purple and is fading to green. Fall colors have been red, orange, and yellow- all at the same time!

Acer pseudosieboldianum*

Acer robustum; Was fully hardy before a deer walked by and decided to snip it to within 4 inches of the soil. Is currently sprouting back vigorously with typical japanese-type maple leaves, green stems, and scarlet f/c

Acer rufinerve; Our most vigorous plant, gorgeous bark with red-violet and orange fall colors. The most attractive plant in our collection to date.

Acer stachyophyllum; Was a fully hardy, 6' tree before a deer snipped it to ground level. Suckering like crazy and starting to once again become a respectable plant. Unusual leaf shape for a maple and good red-violet f/c.

Acer sterculiaceum ssp. franchetii; Vigorous plant with big fuzzy leaves; fall color is minimal, yellowish, but it provides a striking contrast to the other maples wih its stout twigs and bold foliage.

Acer tegmentosum; early to leaf out and sometimes damaged, otherwise exceptional. Vigorous, with scarlet bark in the winter and orange foliage in the fall.

Acer triflorum; had a nasty run in with my father's lawn mower last year but is coming back. Definitely needs acid supplements and will turn chlorotic otherwise. Our soil is neutral to slightly acid, but overlays limestone, so this plant and some of the snakebarks rely on miracle grow acid fert for nourishment.

Miscellaneous plants:

Pteroceltis tartarinowii; vigorous, but no means of protection has yet succeeded in guarding it against the rabbits and it is constantly being kept in a sprout-back state. One of these years it will break out for good, hopefully. Yellow f/c.

Juglans regia (Carpathian strain); We have 3, and it is a struggle to get them to produce good growth that is not immediately attacked by seemingly all surrounding forms of wildlife. Otherwise does well and is an attractive plant.

Corylus avellana 'Heterophylla'; New this spring, but I really like the foliage, despite what Dirr says about it in his Manual.

Parrotiopsis jacquemontiana; A nice plant, but has exhibited some dieback. probably not fully hardy here.

Euptelea polyandra*

Sorbus graeca*; New; can't find much information on it; apparently the rabbits enjoy it, since they saw fit to snip it down to the ground. There's some nice buds appearing on it though, so hopefully I will have more to report on it next spring.

Calycanthus x raulstonii 'Hartlage Wine'* Cannot overemphasize how exceptionally vigorous this plant is; ordered 2 to replace some arborvitaes growing on each side of the front of our house, and one has grown nearly 10 inches and already bloomed (keep in mind most plants are just breaking bud here). The blooms are spectacular and about 3x the size of a seedling Calycanthus floridus we have.

Pyracomeles vilmorinii; Interesting glossy, ferny leaves. Exceptionally vigorous. Died back to snowline this year, despite a low of only about -8F. It had survived lows of at least -18F in the recent past. It stays evergreen to about -15F, but the foliage usually gives up in about February. Leafs out fine the next spring though. Has yet to bloom here. Has a very nice, "alive" feel to it when everything else here has been long-dormant.

Sorbus latifolia; new last year, still establishing; yellow-orange fall color. Leaves are gray-felted below and contrasts strongly to everything else growing nearby. Just starting to come out. Another favorite of the local wildlife but doing well. Fully hardy through last winter. I lost my first one to the drought that damaged so many of the maples.

Kalopanax septemlobus; despite a reputation for being slow-growing, this has been really vigorous. The deer and tent-caterpilars won't touch it, at least not more than once. The plant was crawling with the caterpillars last year, but killed every bug that munched on it (insecticidal properties)? It is absolutely covered with thorns that would be the envy of any wild Rose. Neat foliage and overall texture, but no real fall color to speak of.

Betula maximowicziana*

Platycarya strobilacea*

Sorbus pallescens*

Davidia involucrata*

Zanthoxylum simulans*

All of these are still babies, but have survived a winter (granted, with snow cover) and look good.

Emmenopterys henryi* A real experiment, probably won't survive but is too neat of a plant not to try it out.

Magnolia grandiflora 'Bracken's Brown Beauty'* Going in a very special, sheltered spot on our residence. For all you other folks in cold climate areas, I'll keep you updated on its performance.

Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida'*; This plant is the "seed" of our new Oak collection. I figured there was no better way to start out than an exceptionally rare and unusual cultivar from an already uncommon species.

There you have it, that's what we have. I would be happy to hear any ideas on where to go next. It's the best time of the year in Syracuse right now. Happy gardening!

Comments (24)

• pineresin
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

"Acer cappadocicum ssp. lobelii"

Usually treated as a distinct species Acer lobelii

"Acer griseum x pseudoplatanus"

Sounds a highly improbable hybrid combination! I'd be very dubious about the claimed parentage.

Resin

• quirkyquercus
    16 years ago

Where do you get all those trees? Half of them I've never heard of before. Mail order or local?
    If local please give me some names of places to visit if I'm ever in Syracuse

• Related Discussions

HAVE: Rare Tropical Palm Trees

Q

Comments (0)
    Avid rare palm collector parting with some of my collection to make room for new species. Have the following rare palms for sale - all will grow great outdoors in PHX area. Be different! Get away from the same old palms that are everywhere! Pritchardia (Hawaiian Native Palm) - Large 5 gallon Dypsis Decaryi (Triangle Palm) - 5 gallon Chamaedorea Radicalis (Tree form) - Awesome Palm, 1 Gallons Sabal Minor - 1 gallons Pictures are of actual palms for sale as well as mature Chamaedorea Radicalis specimen so you can see what it looks like. Will be available for pick up this weekend. Also have many rare plumerias that are just rooting and ready to flower. Tropical plants WILL grow in Phoenix!!!! Keywords: tropical Hawaiian lei landscape palm tree garden
    ...See More

all conifers are trees.. but not all trees are conifers ...

Q

Comments (13)
    I'll comment even further that Ken's "conifer" question involves dwarf forms. Simply stated, some forms whether from withces' broom origin or seedling grow very slowly, and as a "shrub" but only to sometime develop a leader. A perfect example rests right in Ken's neck of the woods at The Harper Collection. Picea omorika 'Nana' - Chub Harper upon discussions I believe told me that the "bulk" was planted during the mid-sixties which makes the collection to be 40 years. Coincidentally, we cultivar folks on this forum know this to be a shrub for many years of it's life. Same is true for a tree-like shrub such as Picea abies 'Will's Zwergform' which is actually defined as 'being tree-like' however, growing slowly (approximately 3" per year) and thus by another whole set of rules as defined by The American Conifer Society - as being a dwarf I'll say it Ken, "Go figure." In the Harper Collection and as these decades have passed, a magnificent 'Nana' Picea omorika has grown to be at least 15'. A shrub that becomes a tree... So maybe with a hint of philosophical word-play, and with consideration to everyone's defined above definitions from above and other expressed notions of sorts, but now adding a new element, "time" to the equation - we now have a "tree/conifer" that has shown us it can change from a shrub, that it can grow a dominant leader as a result of genetics... and thus allowing Ken's statement to have partial trueness. Me, I'm a pruner, so beware! lol What was "three clumps now is one!" Later, Dax
    ...See More

Calling all Garden Book readers

Q

Comments (46)
    A treasured moment in my life was the chance to sit down and talk with Adelma Simmons shortly before her death. The conversation was wide ranging and, of course, included the phenomenon of gardening as a hobby in the 80's. As Mrs. Simmons is undoubtedly the author who brought herbs out of the closet and into the mainstream, her comments suprised me. Though she encouraged anyone with a pen to give it a shot, her concern was that the garden book world would be overrun with "fluff" and little substance. This prophecy seems to have come full circle. There are just so many "how to design a border" books that one can read and gain from. Publishers took full advantage of the surge in interest and flooded the market for a quick buck. I really think that this is why there is a decline. Those of us who are serious gardeners (serious enough to "talk" about it on a daily basis with webfriends) will always buy anything that's there of interest. But the backyard hobbiest only wants one or two coffee table books, not anything of substance. So, while book sales may be declining, it could be that there's not a lot out there to buy that hasn't been rehashed many times before. You're right, Ginny, everyone wants to see their name in print and publishers take full advantage to make a quick buck despite the quality. I admit that I have stopped buying gardening books en masse. I don't have the room, nor the time, to read 10 or 15 new books at a clip. Substance seems to be what's missing. "How To's" have given way to "look how lovely this is." The "lovely" books rarely mention the financial part of designing and implementing a full-blown garden worthy of publication. So, IMHO, while I feel for the writers whose rights are contracted away, and I feel for those of us with this plant passion who can't get enough, I give Amy all the credit in the world for doing an ad hoc "market survey" and not putting out pages for the sake of putting out pages. And, I truly still believe, that the masses sway the market. The decline in sales is a perfect example of this. People still have money, people still have interest, and now the publishers need to catch up. Martie
    ...See More

Calling all N.FL. & Central FL rebels!

Q

Comments (40)
    Here are a couple of cycads in a greenhouse I haven't shown yet. The The first one is an Encephalartos gratus from Mozambique in a 45 gallon container that has about 30 inches of trunk. The last plant is an E. ferox, tubular form female in a 90 gallon container. If anyone ever does buy this plant, I'm not sure how I will move it. But I will figure that out if the time comes. I'd probably have to rent a bobcat with forks on it. The picture really doesn't show that is is 10 feet across.This second picture just shows all kinds of different cycads. Looks like a cycad jungle.
    ...See More
  • vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Great posting...love hearing about collections.

Quercus dentata 'Pinnatifida'... could you tell us more about this tree?

I've just ordered a variegated gingko, a weeping gingko, two weeping black tupelos, and a variegated English oak.

I have nine "Gold Rush" dawn redwoods which I hope to plant into a grove this winter. I also have a white redbud, a "Blue Ice" Arizona cypress, and three "Wolf Eyes" chinese dogwoods.

Suggestions for zone nine are appreciated.

While I can recognize some common latin, (Acer, Quercus) I'm sure that other novices like me appreciate a few common names, here and there.

Any southern collecters out there?

• lkz5ia
    16 years ago

Here is a list of some different trees I'm trying in the last couple of years and some others that are closer to decade.

Kalopanax septemlobus- dies to ground like paulownia

Tetracentron sinense-died in the heat, I don't know, probably try it again.

Pteroceltis tartarinowii-I don't even remember if I still have it, I think the deer killed it. But it was very vigorous as I remember.

Paulownia tomentosa-dies to ground

Paulownia elongata-dies to ground

Aralia elata-growing slowly, but surely will gain dominance, just needs more time.

'99alnus glutinosa-I thought this one was a winner. Very vigorous and would be nearly the last to drop its green leaves in the fall. But then they have died back and pretty much are wasted space.

'00Cercidiphyllum japonicum-haven't been impressed or disappointed by this tree.

'98Ginkgo biloba-If I live to 500 years old, I'll be impressed with this tree.

'98Metasequoia glyptostroboides-not fast growing in my conditions. Japanese larch are twice as tall in same conditions. But the fall color makes me wanting more.

Pterocarya rhoifolia-some dieback, but fast growing

Pterocarya stenoptera-started from seed last year, not sure how many will have survived.

Pterocarya hupehensis-another that I have, seeing which one is the best.

Eucommia ulmoides-sounds interesting, too little to know much yet.

Gleditsia caspica-if this is truly what I got from seed, fast growth from seed, and little dieback

Gleditsia sinensis-Looks like it could be total topkill from seed last year. See if they decide to come back and live.

Hovenia dulcis-not much luck with this fool, dies to ground

Salix alba caerulea- I have my very own cricketbat willow. fast growth like most willows.

Have both chitalpas, morning cloud last year and 'pink dawn' this year. Morning cloud flowered last year and grew quickly. There is probable winter damage.

Populus koreana-never grew as fast as my Populus cathayana, but is prettier.

Populus alba 'Richardii'- looks great in spring, but doesn't grow. Not what I was hoping for in white poplar.

Platanus x acerifolia 'Suttneri'

Here are some added in '07 spring season-

Platycarya strobilacea
    Toona sinensis
    Populus candicans 'Aurora'
    Populus angustifolia
    Populus simonii 'fastigiata'
    Populus szechuanica
    Populus tomentosa
    Magnolia kobus borealis
    Aesculus turbinata
    Halesia monticola
    Catalpa ovata
    Rhus verniciflua

and some others I'm trying from seed.

Salix genus could be an interesting one to collect, since there are so many species that are big or small.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"While I can recognize some common latin, (Acer, Quercus) I'm sure that other novices like me appreciate a few common names, here and there"

Mostly, they don't have any common names . . . they are, after all, rare trees, so should only have rare names ;-)

"Kalopanax septemlobus- dies to ground like paulownia ..... '99alnus glutinosa-I thought this one was a winner. Very vigorous and would be nearly the last to drop its green leaves in the fall. But then they have died back and pretty much are wasted space"

The Kalopanax failure is really surprising, it is a very hardy tree native north to eastern Siberia. Maybe yours is from a southern origin? Worth trying some other sources.

For Alnus glutinosa, it sounds like it is possibly suffering from Phytophthora alni infection, check the symptoms against the photos at the link below.

Resin

Here is a link that might be useful: Phytophthora disease of alders

• basic
    16 years ago

I was surprised as well about your Kalopanax failure. I looked at a mature specimen at Longenecker Gardens in Madison, WI, last summer that was flowering and quite attractive. There's a variety that has deeply cut leaves as well. Anyone know where I might find one in the upper midwest?

• cacau
    16 years ago

Right up my alley here, but too much to respond to!

1) Have three Kalopanax septemlobus planted here going into third season, all in full sun and never had any dieback. All about 7 ft. tall now. One is the deep-lobed form which I believe is var. maximowiczii, it came in unsolicited (but welcome!) with the others from Forest Farm.

2) Two Tetracentron sinense planted last spring, one died immediately from full sun, moved the other one to 3/4 shade and it did well but is slow to leaf out this spring. Two others I overwintered in containers are going into spots with at least half-day shade.

3) Pteroceltis tatarinowii: I have two small ones growing in containers and they grow well, but mainly laterally, floppy, will be a struggle to encourage apical dominance.

4) Eucommia ulmoides: entering fourth season, grow well in any exposure, but pretty boring as an ornamental. The leaf-tearing trick is fun, though, and it's a very important tree in traditional Chinese herbal medicine (du zhong).

5) Mixed results on Pterocarya x rehderiana. Two had severe winter dieback, the third less so and has taken off now in its fourth year, about ten ft. tall, strong tendency to be multi-stem. I like the look of this tree.

6) Acer davidii, capillipes and rufinerve: a pair of each bought as 3" caliper B&B, about 18 ft. tall & planted last spring, I thought in spots perhaps too sunny. Got a little bark scorch last summer, but all are leafing out now and all but one is flowering.

7) Sciadopitys verticillata: starting to get good growth now on two that are about 2 ft. tall, hoping for 6 to 8 inches of new stem this year!

8) Liriodendron chinense: two spindly ones about 7 ft. tall, planted fall of 05, some modest growth last year, hoping for significantly more this season. If you like the L. tulipifera leaf, you'll like this one a lot, too!

9) Nyssa sinensis: came in large B&B last year (like maples above) and was surprised to see it lost hardly a twig to dieback in summer after transplant or over the winter. Is leafing out strongly now.

10) Chionanthus retusis: similar size to above, just leafing out now. Will be interesting to see if it flowers this year. Habit seems a lot different from C. virginicus, kind of "frizzy" or "twisty," and branches seem notably thinner.

11) Acer macrophyllum: hmmm, seems hardy enough (some minor twig dieback in winter) but not a strong grower so far; it didn't help that vandals knocked off the top half of it last summer.

12) Taxodium ascendens: only have been in ground a year but seem to like their new home in full sun.

13) Stewartia pseudocamellia: two in ground one year now, rather thin but 7 ft. tall, both flowered last summer.

Things that have been difficult: establishing Sassafras (one of three survived). Casualties: Larix occidentalis, Cedrus deodara, Franklinia altamaha, Mag virginiana (trying again this spring in hopefully a better location). I posted about the Euptelea loss under a separate header.

Things we're trying this spring: Mag grand 'Bogue' and 'BBB,' Pterostyrax hispida, Styrax japonicus, Alnus glutinosa 'Imperialis,' Mag sieboldianum, Stewartia sinensis, Acer circinatum, A. triflorum, A. pseudosieboldianum and Chionanthus virginicus. The last is flowering now in a container on my patio, waiting to be set out, and the scent is wonderful! It reminds me of lilac, but a friend says it's more like jasmine...in any case all of them Oleaceae!

One thing I would like to do now is get as many North American Carya spp. as possible established here. Omitting C. floridana as highly unlikely, there are ten others (eleven if you count ovalis separate from glabra). Right now I have ovata, laciniosa, glabra, cordiformis, illinoensis, texana and myristiciformis in containers (air pruning). The last two are available from Oikos this year. Generally considered Zone 6 in the literature, Oikos claims they've brought these through Zone 5 winters with no problems. I'm looking for a source for tomentosa (definitely hardy here) and if I saw pallida or aquatica available (esp. from a more northern source), I'd definitely pick up a pair of each.

Cacau

• pteroceltis
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Resin, would you happen to have any idea why Acer lobelii is so uncommon? It seems to have many ornamental attributes for such a rare tree, and it's not like its some exotic species from a lonely valley in Yunnan, but from mainland Europe itself. In regards to the hybrid I agree it seems unlikely, although I have seen a peer-reviewed paper on Acer genetics that concluded that these Maples are not as distantly related as they may appear. Dirr himself mentions a hybrid (saccharum x griseum) he found in a seedbed, in his manual, so I guess it's possible. Esveld has a few photos of pseudoplatanus x griseum, and my plant looks exactly like the ones in their photos.

Quirkyquercus- Almost all of my plants are mail order. My main source is forestfarm, although I have also ordered from Arborvillage (going out of business unfortunately), Camellia Forest, and Colvos Creek. I'm not aware of any really good sources of rare material in the Syracuse area, although I hear Durand-Eastman park in Rochester houses many unusual species, especially maples, and has been a source of scionwood for some rare tree nurseries. Some of the plants there are beleived to have been lost to cultivation and are listed as such in some references.

vancleaveterry- I can't really offer too much information on the Quercus dentata 'Pinatifida'. The species itself is a medium sized oak with HUGE leaves. It was one of the first trees I saw on a college field trip to Morris Arboretum in Philly and I was truly awed by it, even though their plant was relatively young it stook out in my mind. When I saw forestfarm offering a cutleaf version, I had to have it. It presents a very ferny of feathery appearance; I beleive there are some photos of it on esveld's site. Be sure to keep us updated on those Ginkgos!

Cacau- I really like the hickories as well. I have been trying to find a source for some of the chinese species, so far without luck. I would try the floridana anyway- only one way to know if it will live or not! I also beleive that forestfarm sells the aquatica in in the tube size, as I almost purchased one this past spring, opting instead for a dubiously identified Chinese Coffeetree. You got really lucky getting a cutleaf Kalopanax; that plant was on my list this year but the only source I know for it was Arborvillage, which is closing. Ditto the cutleaf walnuts I wanted.

Thanks to everyone else who responded with lists of their collections. It's always interesting to see what other people have and what is succeeding where.

• pineresin
    16 years ago

"any idea why Acer lobelii is so uncommon?"

Sorry, no idea! It is rare over here, too. Quite a few are grafted on Acer cappadocicum (grafted specimens easily picked out by the root suckers!), which suggests propagation may be tricky.

Tried looking up . . . seems it is also very rare (and listed as endangered) in the wild in southern Italy, where it occurs only as scattered individuals "including the endemic Acer lobelii Ten., which grows in small areas in the meso-hygrophilous beech forest, each of which consists of very few individuals or even of isolated individuals" Guarino C & Napolitano F (2006). Forest@ 3 (4): 527-541 1

Resin

• cacau
    16 years ago

Ptero,

Thanks for the tip...I missed seeing the Carya aquatica in the FF catalog. Might have to order a couple of tubes, will have to check out the minimum order and the shipping cost.

I think I'll pass on the Carya floridana for now, until I see someone in Zone 7 growing it! Anyway, I haven't seen it on offer anywhere.

Forgot to mention in earlier post that I'm growing Ziziphus jujuba and Leitneria floridana. The former I know can be grown here, the latter...no idea.

• giboosi_alttara
    16 years ago

Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden, CT is a wonderful source.

I just planted Acer x conspicuum 'Phoenix' and Parrotia Persica 'Lamplighter' today (I went out there last weekend). From them, I've also gotten Zelkova Serrata Goshiki and Ogon, Cercidiphyllum 'Tidal Wave', Stewartia Pseudocamellia, Acer pectinatum ssp. forrestii, Acer tegmentosum 'Joe Witt', Aesculus pavia, Betula Nigra 'Summer Cascades, Cornus a. 'Golden Shadows, C. controversa 'Janine', C. Kousa 'Elizabeth Lustgarten' and 'Summer Games, Franklinia, Halesia monticola 'Variegata', Ginkgo 'Chris' Dwarf', Heptacodium miconoides (ok, that's a shrub), Taxodium distichum 'Cascade Falls'... tired of typing. :-D

(I guess my fondness for variegated trees is showing through).

Anyway, for anybody on the right coast, BAN is a better bet than FF for a lot of things. A friend of mine makes a trip to BAN from Syracuse pretty regularly.

• krazyaroider
    16 years ago

My yard has the following trees:
    Paper bark Maple
    Japanese Maples
    Vine Maple
    Hedge Maple
    Dawn Redwood
    Bald Cypress
    Sawtooth Oak
    English Oak - "Skyrocket"??
    Turkey Oak - Q. cerrus
    Red Buckeye
    Ruby Red Horse Chestnut - "Briotti"
    Red, pink, white Cornus florida
    Cornus mas,Cornus alternatfolia
    Chinese Dogwood
    Redbud
    Giant Sequoia "Glauca"
    Ginkgo - Fastigatia, Princeton Sentry, Salem Lady, Fairmount, Magyar, Autnum Gold
    Magnolia - accuminata, stellata, tripetala, Asheii, "Butterlies", hypoleuca/obovata, virginiana grandiflora ssp. 'Edith Bogue, Bracken's Brown Beauty, Pocano and clone from Appalachian Gardens.
    Service berries, fringe trees, Sweet Gum, Sassafras, Japanese Tree Lilac
    European Beech - River' s and Rohanii.

I think all are listed - its a jungle out there!!

~ Gerry

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Pteroceltis... Thanks for mentioning "Forest Farms". I saw a half dozen oaks on their web site that I will order this winter. Lord knows what I'll find when I explore further.

I will definatly be ordering a Quercus dentata 'Pinatifida', the cutleaf version. And hopefully the Gingko I have on order (off ebay) will have good variegation. I hear they can be disappointing.

I may try some coast redwoods next year. The Giant Sequoia's don't seem to like the summers here.

Also will try "Appalacian Red" redbuds next year along with a half dozen other redbud varieties I am looking at.

Broken Arrow nursery's "Chris's dwarf gingko" is now on my want list.

• arbordave (SE MI)
    16 years ago

Pteroceltis - You compared Acer miaotaiense to A. miyabei - just wondering if you are also growing miyabei? A. miyabei 'State Street' does very well here. I'm also surprised you don't have the griseum x maximowiczianum hybrid on your list (cultivars 'Gingerbread' and 'Girard's Form') - this hybrid is probably a bit hardier than straight griseum. A. maximowiczianum should also be in your collection. Are you familiar with or have you considered trying Liquidambar acalycina? L. acalycina 'Burgundy Flush' is supposed to be pretty hardy (original tree from Beijing).

• ivyzmama
    16 years ago

vancleaveterry, where did you order your variegated gingko from? Do you know how many hundreds of collectors have been searching for those to no avail? Please share your source! Thanks!

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Matt Dominish "Dominish2007" sells them on ebay, along with a number of other interesting graftings. He has weeping gingkos, weeping black gum tupelos, cut leaf beech, wolf-eyes dogwoods, variegated English oaks, Weeping dawn redwood 'Miss Grace' Quercus robur 'purpurea' (purple english oak) etc etc.... and a bunch of Japanese maples.

I am happy with the half dozen plants I have bought from him.

• vancleaveterry
    16 years ago

Dominish doesn't have a variagated gingko listed at the moment but I have a link to an expired auction that has pics. You can have a look and see if that is what you're after.

He seems to post one about every other month. Let him know you're after one and I bet he lists one right away.

Terry

Here is a link that might be useful: ebay variagated gingko

• slimwhitman
    13 years ago

I know this is an old thread, but I thought that was a good reason to ask some of you how your trees have done since 2007. An update, if you will. Successes & failures.

• pmcrim_gmail_com
    13 years ago

I haven’t visited these forums in some time and actually rediscovered this thread doing a google search on some rare plants (go figure). Since we have a lot of trees and not a lot of resources and time to protect them, most of my losses are due to deer/rodent herbivory. Instead of dwelling on all of the plants I haven’t been able to keep alive, I’ll mention the highlights and surprises here. I went go in depth on too many so ask if you want more details and I’ll try to keep an eye on this thread and respond back when I can. I have been in Arizona since May and I’m basing the updates from this past growing season on my mother’s observations.

-Strongest growing maple is Acer lobelii by far; arrived as a stick broken in half during shipping en route from Colvos Creek Nursery in Washington state and has grown at least 3 feet a year. It towers over all of the other sticks in my maple collection at about 15 feet.

-Acer davidii grosseri hersii (what a taxonomic mess!) is the strongest growing snakebark and a new addition since the original post I believe. I don’t give it any “help” nutrition-wise and it has grown 2 feet each year; excellent striped bark turns crimson with the onset of cold weather and the leaves are a mix of red, orange, and purple in the autumn. From Forestfarm and while they are awesome, I have not yet keyed this plant to confirm its identity; either way, doing awesome for a snakebark in a clay-dominated alkaline soil in an exposed area.

-Acer rufinerve gets no fertilization either and has some years where it sits back and grows little, and other where it takes off. Apparently this year it grew over 2’, so it now stands about 8’. Bark is excellent, although it doesn’t change to crimson like some of the other snakebarks. Can occasionally develop minor signs of nutrient deficiency but not a big deal. Leaves are amazing both texturally (coarse) and by color in the autumn, a mix of red, orange and violet.

-Acer henryi looks like a Boxelder and grows like one in upstate NY. After a rough time establishing and a nasty bout of sunscald, it now grows about 2’ a year and has excellent red and violet autumn colors, with violet usually dominating.

-Acer longipes is notable because I was able to get one through a winter (low -13F) with the only damage due to herbivory. Supposedly sprouted up big time this past summer. Not many experts seem to place much faith in its hardiness and it may have been below the snowline at the time of the low temp. Time will tell.

-Acer mandshuricum, Acer triflorum, and Acer maximowiczianum all suffer through chlorosis. A. triflorum does the worst, A. maximowiczianum the best. A hybrid from Forestfarm between A. pseudoplatanus and A. griseum has done very well, with violet-backed leaves and red fall color. Hybrid vigor and no cold or soil issues.

-Acer oliverianum is starting to pick up steam and has yet to be damaged by temps as low as -16F. Might be benefiting from the protection of a nearby hedge. Fall color is usually reddish-orange; it is deeply shaded.
    -Calycanthus raulstonii ‘Hartlage Wine’ is a huge success. Massive flowering in the second year and completely hardy. Grows very fast and gets leggy unless trimmed. Flowers are gorgeous and large, with virtually no scent. Numerous visitors that have seen the plants have subsequently scoured google for a dealer. The intense color has even drawn some hummingbirds. Seedless. Highly recommend.

-Magnolia grandiflora ‘Bracken’s Brown Beauty’ gets defoliated by about January when the truly consistent cold temperatures begin. This about the time that the soil freezes for good as well, limiting the plant’s ability to care for the leaves no doubt. At times, it looks like a fancy houseplant with shiny green leaves growing amongst the snow. No cold-dieback although it is not yet established and grows only about 6 inches a year max so far (haven’t got an update for this past season yet). It is late to leaf out in the spring.

-Have a Stewartia malacodendron that apparently did very well in a shaded and very rich sand lens in a protected area that gets partial shade. It is big enough to be above the (likely) snow line and I will be very, VERY interested in seeing if it overwinters.

Perhaps more updates later (and as I receive them!)

• slimwhitman
    13 years ago

Thanks for the update!

• ozark
    12 years ago

Over the last 20 years I have tried a large number of woody plant species and selections here in Z5 NH. There are too many to list here but if anyone is interested I could mail you the list. And I would be happy to answer any questions you have regarding adaptability.

• r9brown99
    7 years ago

I presently live in Tallahassee, a very kind climate for Magnolia grandiflora (and aging Yankees!), although for 38 years I lived in Irondequoit, NY (Rochester) on the west side of Durand Eastman Park. The park was founded 100 years ago on the shores of Lake Ontario by George Eastman and Henry Durand, who hired Frederick Law Olmstead to design it, and it contains a wealth of horticultural exotics. To me, the most surprising was a mature and very happy Magnolia grandiflora. How it manages to survive the Rochester winters is a mystery to me, but it does and apparently has for a long while. It is growing among other mature trees in a small ravine that is sheltered from the west.

While on this subject, I have another magnolia mystery. A beautiful seedling has appeared in my yard and is growing like a weed. I would take it to be a Magnolia grandiflora, of which I suppose it must be some cultivar, but the leaves show no trace of the rusty-colored backs which I always thought of as a fundamental of grandiflora. Is this perhaps missing in very young plants? It now is about 5 feet tall and about 3 years old. I'm looking to transplant it this winter as it chose to begin life in the shadow of a Satsuma orange tree!

Bob Brown, Tallahassee r9brown99@gmail.com

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I'm confused r9brown99, did you just bump this old thread because it mentions someone trying a Magnolia grandiflora in upstate NY, or because you were the original poster and have now moved to Florida? ("presently"?)

Your plant that doesn't quite look like Magnolia grandiflora is probably Magnolia virginiana, which would be evergreen down there.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

r9, Magnolia grandifloras can be fuzzy, rusty brown on the underside OR smooth green. Many (most) of the ornamental cultivars are selected, in part, for that characteristic. Older species are typically light green on the back.

I don't see a picture to help you verify.

Apparently, M. grandiflora are not unusual in the area. See THIS old thread.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville