SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annececilia

So many babies!!

AnneCecilia z5 MI
13 years ago

Of the 5 leaves I put down last August, I have found that there are lots of variables from one violet to another. Blue Dragon is the most prolific - I have 7 babies on their own and one more still coming up from the mama leaf. I understand now how you all end up with extra to share. I was potting up some of the second round of babies and I just couldn't NOT pot them all even though lord knows I don't need this many! Kermit was almost that prolific; I have 5 sturdy plants - and really, how many frogs does one need, LOL? Rebel's Night Breeze gave me 3 nice plants and still looked good so I put it back to see if there would be more. OTOH, Pink Jade gave me two babies - and then turned to mush. I pulled the mother leaf (what was left of it) out yesterday and noted that the babies are small but seem healthy. I'm letting them grow on a bit more before I separate them - they're still pretty much white and I was reading about how the varigated types need more green before separating them. And then there's Royal Rage. It just sits there. The leaf is still solid and other than the tip I had to cut off when I first got it, it looks good. But no sign of any mouse ears. Is this normal, to have so much variation in results from leaves all started at the same time under the same conditions?

And then I have one last question - I would be willing to put up the extra youngin's on the exchanges forum when the weather warms but how on earth do you package them up to ship them safely?

I must say though that this has been a lot of fun for a minimum investment. You should have seen me yesterday rummaging through the recycling looking for little plastic bottles I could cut off and poke holes in to make little 2 or 3 inch pots for all the babies, LOL! It takes time, but it is exciting to start new plants and watch them grow right from the very beginning. :-)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery