SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patlovesdirt

Udate on Garden Overhaul - Or Do You Really Want to Do This?

patlovesdirt
14 years ago

My original plan was to dig up and pot everything - now. I was unhappy/frustrated with what I had created, plus sun problems when tree was removed.) The heat dashed that idea  I couldnÂt take it. Also I recalled some advice from the wise ken adrian in one of his posts, about not moving anything this time of year unless you donÂt care about it. I care. I will wait. In the meantime, IÂm agonizing over my new "greatest plan ever".

I did do some emergency uprooting, though. IÂve dug up and potted my few wilted, sunburned, shade-loving plants (ligularia, a BirchÂs Hybrid campanula, hostas, fern, liriope, primrose, hydrangeas (were small from florist, I grew them outside) and a trillium IÂve been babying) that were suddenly thrust into brutal sun after the removal of the large sweetgum next to our house. (I know..itÂs August! But if I hadnÂt dug them up, theyÂd surely have died in that sun shortly.)

{{gwi:251291}}

{{gwi:251292}}

Looking for a nice shady spot to stage them caused me to look twice at the huge maple adjacent to my regular perennial bed. ItÂs a nice, pretty spot that IÂd I never thought of using for a garden before. In fact, IÂve never done what IÂd consider a total shade garden  had some shady spots in the original bed because of the sweetgum, but never gardened exclusively in shade  or on purpose.

{{gwi:251293}}

IÂm starting by planting the hostas  making pockets between the large exposed tree roots (anyone got a pick axe?).

{{gwi:251294}}

IÂm going to move in some white phlox IÂve got growing in another shady area and blooming well now, and probably some of my remaining foxgloves. TheyÂve bloomed already, but after cutting back theyÂre leafing back out - hope to get more blooms next year?

{{gwi:251296}}

So the problem of suddenly too much sun presented me with a happy solution and opened a new door: create a shade garden. Hmm need to buy more shade plants! IÂve got bags of peat moss and compost, my favorite tool (a broken-off, short garden spade shovel, my scootie seat, and IÂm content and not too hot working in the shade for now.

{{gwi:251297}}

Just waiting for those cool temps before tackling the plan for the original overhaul.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting