SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jabbers_gw

Craftsman Lawn Trac sputters/dies when blades engage

jabbers
12 years ago

Hi All,

I have a 2yo Craftsman LTS Lawn Tractor. CM/BS 500cc/17.5 hp engine. Always ran fine. Tonight, I filled it with fresh gas and got 15 mintes out of it before it started to sputter and die while mowing. So, I disengaged blades to restart (i thought maybe grass was too long and choked blades), restarted (got a backfire occasionally as this happened multiple times), engine runs in stationary position, engaged blades while stationary and sput-sput-shudder-quit. Restart and now drive mower about 25 feet and engage blades on the fly and sputter and die. Gas is fresh, oil fine, checked air filter, pulled red plastic cover/cowling off engine and got rid of all loose grass, fuel line seems fine and fuel filter had gas in it, spark plug wire seemed okay. Started it up, backfired, ran, engaged blades, sputter-sputter-died. Finally gave up and restarted and drove to shed and it started to sputter and buck after a few hundred feet without the blades engaged. Any ideas? i thought carb but then could not figure why it would so obviously choke on my when the blades were engaged. Also thought seat switch but that made no sense either. Thx in advance and for reading this far. Chris

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor
More Discussions