SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

To Prune outside of the branch collar or into the collar

katrina1
16 years ago

I just finished reading the extensive comments previously posted on the Forestry report of the improved healing rate when many forest type trees are branch pruned into the collar.

Back in late November of 2005, before I knew the current trend was to think it best to prune just outside of the branch collar, I pruned three of my 20 year old Shumard and Scarlet oaks. The branches that I pruned away were from 4 to 6 inches in diameter. When I pruned them back to just outside of the branch collar I did not like the look of the those remaining branch collar stumps. so the next day I cut farther into the branch collars in an effort to decrease the stubble affect.

After finishing and stepping back to observe my work, the sites where I had cut appeared to expose a shockingly large amount of unbarked wood. Then later when I read the reports on proper pruning methods, I felt even more saddened that I must have ruined my trees.

Those later reports I saw suggested that the correct pruning method is to leave the stubs cut just outside of the branch collar and at a downward slant where rain water will not collect.

Now it is Spring of 2007 and every one of those large areas has healed over with no infection, mold, or bug infestations. They are healed so well, that by this coming November, I feel confident that the trees can handle some more needed pruning.

I am so glad to have seen the post on the Forestry's detailed research and conclusions. It gives me courage to again do my next pruning in the same manner I did back in 2005, which has seemed to work out fine for my trees.

Comments (15)