SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
particentral

Knockout Rose Hedge

particentral
9 years ago

Long time since I visited but I need advice. I have a hedge of 13 knockouts between my grooming shop and my neighbor, mostly to keep the cars from driving across and using his driveway to exit my facility. The issue is that I have MANY MANY dead limbs (I took out 5 large wheelbarrows full of limbs the other day and still need that many more to take out, then they look thin and lanky) and have lost 4 plants last winter. The large plants that are left are looking horrid. I plan on cutting them back and seeing if they come back better looking and have replaced the dead plants with new ones (Lowes had some marked WAY down the other day so I scooped 7)....

question is how far down can I prune these bushes. They are about 5 years old. They are 4 - 5 foot tall and like I said look AWFUL....I live in SW GA, almost in FL so we will not have hard freezes until MAYBE Jan and my Hybrid Teas bloom all the way to Christmas most years so lots of growing time left....

I should also note that three of the old knockouts have started growing new canes from the bottom. Those plants I took out all the old large, thick canes, some of which are two and three inches thick. Had to use a saw cause a lopper wouldnt do the work..

Any suggestions or advice wo uld be appreciated

Comments (6)