SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uptightbuyer

Italian Cypress

uptightbuyer
11 years ago

I am hoping there is someone who can help with this. We bought two Mediterranean, or Italian, cypress trees especially for their architectural value to grow in between two windows against the white wall of our house. They are varied in size and the larger of the two had its top slightly bent to one side when we bought it. The garden shop assured us that it would straighten up when it was planted, that it had been bent out of shape during shipment. the top was not broken, just bent. We planted them both last fall and with all the rain we have had this spring they have already grown about 12". We had staked them both, supporting the top of the larger one so that it would get the idea that it had to grow straight up, but with the new growth it now has three leaders at the top which are tending to fan out. This is not what we want, we want these trees to grow in a very thin column shape, we know we will have to shear them to get this effect but what do we do with the three leaders? Is it OK to cut off two and the remaining one will then grow straight up? I tried cutting the support holding the top up but with the weight of the new growth and three leaders it toppled over to one side again. I then left it for a week or two to see what it did, but eventually I couldn't bear the sight of it and tied it back up again. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments (11)