SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smord

WS 75% failure to germinate - help!

smord
14 years ago

Hi! I tried winter sowing last year and only 1 of my four flats germinated, so I'm looking for advice before trying again this year.

Here is what I did last year:

Sowed columbine, asclepias, a hardy perennial I forget now, and candytuft in 4 separate containers. Only the candytuft was successful (I'm very excited to see them bloom for the first time this spring!).

Bought seed from Park Seed that year, so it wasn't old. I have had luck with indoor sowing with seeds from Park, so I don't think it was the seeds.

Planted in big, wide, shallow hoagie platters - the black bottoms and the big clear tops. Used regular potting soil from the store (scotts?) Cut slits and drainage holes and put out on my deck in part shade.

I noticed that no matter how many slits I cut, the flats seemed waterlogged much of the time (we have wet winters.)

My current theory is that the seeds rotted from the wet. Perhaps I should try: deeper containers, more drainage holes, fewer top slits, more slits for air on the sides so not so much water can get in...

Thoughts? Advice?

Here are the seeds I want to try this year. let me know if any are mistakes:

columbine (aquilegia oragami mix)

astilbe

tricyteris (toad lily)

monarda (bee balm)

coneflower (echinacea)

rudbeckia (blackeyed susan)

alyssum compacta (basket of gold)

All are perennials hardy in my zone. rudbeckia at least self-sows EVERYWHERE so I know that should be ok.

Thanks!

-Sarah

Comments (14)

Sponsored