SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kohlermagnum

John Deere RX75 Engine Issues

kohlermagnum
14 years ago

I just picked up this tractor, it's got the 9HP Kawasaki engine. When I got it, the original owner said that it started "blowing oil". Well, when I got home, the first thing I did was check the oil. It was WAAAAY over full. So, I drained the oil, only it wasn't just oil. It looks like maybe the float stuck open and filled the crank case with gas. Okay, it's got a fuel shut off on it, so I drained the oil, filled it with fresh, and gave it a shot of carb cleaner. It will just "pop", but not start. Sometimes it will run a few revolutions then stop.

I checked the compression, and it's got 80 PSI. I don't know much about 4 strokes, but on a chainsaw, 80 is near death.

Is it worth looking into the carb issues and fixing it up? I don't know what the cylinder looks like, but I imagine now that I put in actual "oil", it should stop blowing oil out the exhaust once it's all burned out of the system. I just hope that it wasn't run too long with thinned out oil.

I have nothing in this tractor, and I don't want to put a LOT of money into it. So far, it needs a battery, and possibly a carb kit. I can't get it to run at all on its own. Also, the engine won't even try to fire unless it's turning very fast. I don't know if that's due to the low compression, or what... I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio
More Discussions