SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessicabc_gw

my new rose bush...

jessicabc
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have just moved house and have inherited a rose bush. I'm really keen to look after it as well as I can, but never having a garden before I need some advice please!

I've done a bit of research and I'm not sure what's wrong with the plant. Some of the leaves look like they might have mildew, some look like they've become lunch and some look kind of like blackspot but I'm not so sure. See below a few different examples:

{{gwi:285731}}

{{gwi:285732}}

{{gwi:285733}}

The main stem branches into two, and one is a much darker brown wood, with a white coating. I started to cut into this and the inside is green (I thought it was dead). Should I prune this whole thing back? (the left hand side of the image is where the majority of the bush stems from, the stem growing straight up looks as though the dying part is reaching towards the top flowers)

{{gwi:285734}}

I read to cut off any affected leaves is the best thing to do, and you can see by the pics that I've now only got about 2% of the foliage left! I have however got lots of flowers that seem healthy (apart from they shed their petals at the slightest touch- is this normal?)

{{gwi:285735}}

Any advice would be great- the internet is full so of information that I don't really know where to begin.

For all who are wondering- here's the rose in it's present state!

{{gwi:285736}}

Thanks in advance everyone!

Comments (5)