SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lblack61

Arisaema and Magnolia...Advice

lblack61
15 years ago

I had secretly promised myself to "Sow No Challenging Seed" this year. Ha. I REALLY kept it a secret to me as I now have a list of things that I have no clue how'll they'll do.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience WSing these (just to make me feel a little better....proof that there is a little nervous newbie in almost all of us-- or at least me):

Arisaema triphyllum (on the seed list in the FAQs, but nothing in the database for Zones 4 and 5)

Arisaema consanguineum

Magnolia macrophylla

Rhododenndron groenlandicum

Specifically the Arisaema triphyllum says "Germination of this species is greatly enhanced by repeated washing/drying (once or twice daily over 10 days with dish detergent). Then sow and place outdoors over winter, for germination in early summer)." I think I also read that this is done to get rid of the oily residue that is naturally on the seed coat.

Simply, I suppose, I should just do what it says. But I guess I'm wondering if I the WSing process would take care "de-oilifying" the seed coat.

(just call me lazy)

Linda

PS

The wonder of this post is that I would even TRY to sow seeds like this. This what WSing has done to me!

Comments (6)

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    15 years ago

If it were me, I wouldn't count on sowing in lidded containers to 'de-oil' commercial seeds or those not sown immediately after seed harvest (fresh seed doesn't need chill). Such cool plants - why not wash.

Good news is, Rhododendron groenlandicum - Labrador Tea, bog plant - unlike most rhododendron, period of moist cold is recommended

• lblack61
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Morz8 :-)
    This is because I am not a "real gardener" that I even think of skipping such things (that and the fact that the semester starts next week and I know my time and brain-matter will be clogged up.

I've sinced given the A. triphyllum its first washing.

I washed seeds for Euonymous alatus "Compactus" (I forgot to mention those, but I was going to follow the directions for them anyway) which the package says to do.

The Magnolia, I put in the fridge in a baggie of soil.

I'll Spring Sow the Magnolia (ala WSing method) in May or June. The other two, I'll WS after the requisite washings (10 days for one, 4 weeks for the other).

I'll be good and follow directions (sounds like a mantra I need to repeat to myself every morning...lol). I marked the dishes of drying seeds, put them out of the way of any critters on my counter, and marked my calendar. The Rhododendron is going out today.

I'm wondering "why did I order these seeds?"; but it IS a labor of love (and a learning experience). Never would have even thought of doing this before! I remember the first time I sanded and soaked seeds. I thought, "this is crazy". But I got seedlings and plants out of 'em. So I won't argue. I'll just consider it a plus that I don't have to try to sprout them indoors :-)

Thanks again for the vote towards reason.

Linda

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

Hi Linda. :O)

Ariseama Consanguineum germinated fine for for me last summer. It was a little late as compared to things like Echinaceas and Buddleias and even Columbines, but they were cute little things. Crossing my fingers and toes that they are fine and will return having been planted in the veggie bed for the winter.

I will be winter sowing Rhododendron Schlippenbachii (Japanese Royal Azaleas) this year so we'll see what comes of those. The flowers are amazing. Seeds will be coming in from Gardens North.

I also have a friend up the road who wants me to try some seeds of 5 different kinds of Azaleas which he has selected. He grows over 30 different kinds of Rhodies and Azaleas so I'm excited about this.

I'm sure all your seeds will do well. Taking the plunge with seeds such as these is really exciting and I know your happy dances on these will be the best ever! Go for it!

• lblack61
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tiffy,
    My seeds are from Gardens North too! I love that site. And their customer service is always above and beyond. I look at their site and I want almost everything there.
    My other "special seed order" is from Chilterns. They had seeds for four different kinds of Himalyan Poppies, and I bought three of them.

What time of year did you sow the A. Consanguineum? My hunch was to wait until March.

30 different kinds of Rhododendrons and Azaleas?? WOW. Your neighbor's yard must be gorgeous. I realized last year that they are two things I'd like to have in my yard.

Yeah, I'll be very excited if all of these or any of them sprout and grow. I already know where I want them in the yard. So I'm hoping Ma Nature will be kind to me.

Thanks for the info :-)

Linda

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

Linda
    arisaema tryphyllum is one of those that do need WS- since I have one growing for me for several years I just sprinkle red berries where I want them to grow and let it happen. Now those red seed coats do contain germination inhibitors enzymes and cleaning them up is useful if you have only few seeds and want good germination. Clean it up after soaking in lightly soapy water and WS them.
    Arisaema consanguienum is different as it does not need cold to germinate and will germinate at cool to warm temps but it will take several years before bulb is big enough to show for it. Some people do use this trick of placing bulbs for 3 month cold 3 months warm regimen- mostly professionals do that to speed things up but I found it to be too much trouble and just let my seeds germinate at warm, plant them in the spring and keep them growing.
    Love Gardens North as well- my gardens will not be the same without Kristl' seeds...

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    15 years ago

lblack,

I'm pretty sure I sowed them towards the end of March/beginning of April. I did a series of seeds from GN around that time and think AC was in them.

You are right about Azaleas and Rhodies - a must have in the gardens for sure!! :O) Got my first three last year and with these seeds being sown, I know I'll have more.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County