SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slowpoke_gardener

craftsman mower help please

slowpoke_gardener
11 years ago

I have craftsman rider dyt4000 #09160580b8453 (917.275660)

with a 20 hp kohler courage engine mod.#sv600s spec#sv600-0001 ser#3618700773 build date 07-06-2005 with a Hydro-Gear 314-0510.

The engine has a crack at the right side of the crank case at the top of the engine. It looks like about 5 bolts work loose letting the housing flex causing the crack. This mower has been used pretty hard and I dont think it is worth repairing. MY question is should I buy something like this and try to save parts from this old mower for back up, or go with something better? If I were to buy something like this, what would these parts fit? I have not been overly happy with the 20 hp Kohler single, when it ran, it ran good, when it broke, it broke good. I feel there must have been a design flaw in this engine.

I would like a mower that will handle hard use, I mow on a steep bank and around about 50 trees and shrubs, also often in very heavy grass.

Altho the hydro worked fine I am thinking I may need a stronger hydro and stronger engine. This has been my first rider and I find I use one much harder than I ever thought I would have.

Thanks for all input.

Larry

Comments (3)

Sponsored
More Discussions