SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beebiz43

Please help with my AV problem...

beebiz43
18 years ago

Hello,

I have two AVs that I bought at Wal-Mart back in November or December of 2005. Not knowing any better, I put 1/2 of fertilizer stake in the soil as close to the pot as possible. In just a couple of days, the AVs turned dark, DARK green. After doing some reading on Rachel's Reflections, I realized that I had probably over-fertilized them. I immediately removed the remainder of the stakes and leached the soil... but not too much. In just a few days, they seemed to begin doing better.

When I water the AVs I bottom water them and make sure not to get any water on the leaves or stems. I also make sure not to touch the leaves or stems.

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed a problem begining on the mature leaves. There are brown lines, circles and other shapes on them. There is also a place on one of the leaves that almost looks like a cancer would look on a human. A place on the bottom of one of the leaves almost looks like a where a person has had a ring-worm!

I feel relatively sure that plants don't get ring-worm or cancer, but I don't know enough about AVs to figure out what is going on. I have used a very strong magnifying glass to look at the leaves and can find no bugs or anything moving on the leaves or the affected areas.

I know that a picture is worth a thousand words, and I wanted to post some here. But, the place where I store my online pics (photobucket) is down right now. So, I did the next best thing. I created a web site at freewebs.com and have posted six pictures there.

If someone wouldn't mind taking a look and letting me know what you think, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Pics of my AV's problem

Comments (7)