SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donmurray

Briggs engine smokes on startup

donmurray
15 years ago

A one year old Yardman big wheel mower with Briggs-Stratton engine. When first started the engine puts out a lot of oil smoke. Gradually clears up in one minute. Engine does make some noise, but it sounds more like metal shroud or plastic piece vibrating. Oil is fresh and level does not drop, so it's not burning a lot of oil.

Before this smoking started the mower had a bent shaft caused by hitting a low stump. When it hit, the engine did stop instantly, so there may have been more damage than a bent shaft and blade. Shaft was straightened by local mower shop and I bought a new blade. After the shaft was straightened it has been run for about 5 hours. It ran fine and initially did not smoke. I have some experience with engines, but would appreciate some suggestions on the smoking. My best guess is that the sudden stop cracked the piston and that allows some oil to seem past when it sits for awhile. The other possibility I've thought of is a bent connecting rod which is causing bad piston alignment and messed with the ring sealing. I think the next time I run it, it will be stored with the mower tilted back to see if this prevents oil from seeping past the rings.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions