SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cjsm_gw

JD X500 series. Which to buy?

cjsm
16 years ago

I am about to purchase one of the X500 series garden tractors within the week and I am having a hard time deciding which to purchase. I would GREATLY appreciate some feed back from JD X500 series owners as to thoughts and opinions about each model.

I have read so many of the reviews on this forum, talked to my local JD dealer and have made several test runs on the X520, X534 and X540. I am still quite indecisive as to which to purchase. Of course each one is so very different. The tractor will be used to mow and for snow removal. I mow about 1.4 acres including slopes and unlevel terrain. I have a 225' paved driveway with steady light grade to the top to remove snow.

I have considered liquid cooled vs the air cooled engines of the x520/540. There are mixed opinions on the xtra $ spent on the liquid cooled engine is really worth it since air cooled engines have come a long way. Benefit of course with the liquid cooled is use during the cold winter temps.

Hydraulics and power are NICE but certainly not necessary. Manual steering is still quite smooth.

I really do like the x534's manueverability. I do have trees in open areas and garden beds to mow around but I could certainly get away with a non AWS.

I have a garden to till and could purchase a JD tiller attachment. If I did, I would only spend the money on the 30" mechanical tiller vs. hydraulic. So, would the x540 be over kill since x520 takes the mechanical tiller.

I could use some help with my indecisiveness.

I like the x534 but I am a bit sceptical on whether it is worth the extra money and will it grip the driveway with its turf tires? I do not want to put chains on with the paved driveway. Wish the x534 had the HDAP tires w/ liquid cooled engine and could take a tiller. But it dont!

Comments (19)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions