SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
golfngardennut

Newbie - yes I read the faqs :)

golfngardennut
14 years ago

I am just getting started with the composting - or should I say, I WANT to... it is intimidating since every time I have tried before it failed.... Anyway. Can I get some advice?

I am keeping a gallon bucket on my sink ledge where I put the stuff from cooking - veggie cuttings and egg shells. I just moved here, so I have a lot of boxes... haven't decided where to put my compost pile - or what kind. Anyway... every day I take the kitchen stuff to a small u-haul box, put 3 times as much straw, a couple handfuls of miracle grow (it is all I have right now), and water it...I have 3 layers now and the box is half full...

My plan is to put it off to the side when it is full and start a new box. I will be taking temperatures and keeping track of the moisture in a my Garden Journal (which I just started, too) Anyway... my thought was the bottom of the box would decompose with the stuff inside - and then the sides could be shredded and used instead of straw in future boxes...

Thoughts, anyone? How long should it take to get compost? Or will I? Any and all thoughts/comments are welcome.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!