SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maybee_france

Do you like 'Before and After' shots? (many photos)

maybee_france
15 years ago

Hello again,

Rummaging through old photos the other day, I thought I would give everyone a good laugh by showing what my "garden" looked like 3 years ago, as compared with today. As I also received some encouragement to do so, I dedicate my little effort to "Simply J" (you know who you are!).

I am always awed and amazed when I see what some of you are doing in terms of landscape design, structures, pergolas, archways, paths, raised beds, etc. I hope one day we can do something of the sort, but for the moment, not really having a budget for such "hard-scaping", we have simply planted fragrant roses and are experimenting with companions, mostly blue and perennial.

Anyway, for those of you who like the old "Before and After" game, here is the front garden in August 2005 and recently:

{{gwi:276673}}{{gwi:276674}}

As is common in rural France, behind the house we had a huge, ugly fuel tank. The whole area was a wasteland but after we replaced the "submarine" with a new underground tank, it was possible to start reclaiming that little space:

{{gwi:276676}}{{gwi:276677}}

Another view from the side  the green disk is the top of the buried tank. Sadly, after the excavations we found that the mound of "soil" was nothing more than rubble, stones and sticky blue clay so my poor hubby gradually removed it all and replaced it with our own manure-based compost:

{{gwi:276678}}{{gwi:276679}}

On one side a dark hedge loomed and this wasted corner was a parking spot. We are gradually softening that outline with climbing OGRs and some Austins:

{{gwi:276680}}{{gwi:276681}}

Another view, from the back:

{{gwi:276682}}

and from the lane that borders our place:

{{gwi:276683}}

And finally, looking the opposite way towards the back:

{{gwi:276685}}{{gwi:276687}}

My limited experience suggests that, although three years can feel like an eternity (especially in winter when the roses are asleep), it is possible to begin to see the bones of a rose garden fleshing out. Coincidentally, as we started to dig and plant, we also began visiting this forum. So I wish to thank you all for the invaluable advice which has underpinned our efforts. And, please, continue to post photos from your gardens ... I need the motivation!

MayBee

Comments (23)