SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aachenelf

Your favorite and least favorite garden chore

aachenelf z5 Mpls
13 years ago

I must admit, there are certain really mundane chores I like and others I just despise. I'm sure if I analyzed them and compared them to my personality I would figure out why it works out that way, but I don't usually feel like doing that.

So..........

I love every single step in compost making. I love checking it every day, turning it, tossing things in, watching the pile get smaller, the smell and of course the finished product. Even during the heat of summer I just can't wait to empty out a compost bin, mix it all up and pitch fork it back into the bin. I'm sure I put more work into the process than is necessary, but who cares? I love it!

My least favorite chore has to be staking plants. I absolutely loath that process. Probably part of the reason has to be it can be difficult to do well. Nothing worse in my opinion than a garden full of plants that look like they've been part of some bondage ritual. I'm also certain it's the main reason I just don't grow certain plants or few of them. Tall bearded iris come to mind. If you don't stake 'em, they're down on the ground with the first passing thunderstorm. Then of course you kick yourself for not getting out there before the storm arrived.

Any other strong opinions?

Kevin

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting