SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
modeladay

After 6 years a Craftsman GT 5000 problem

modeladay
12 years ago

Hello people, yes I am here because I have a problem. First the info, I purchased a Craftsman GT 5000 in 2005 it has the 26 HP Kohler engine, 54 inch deck, 2 speed transaxle and a 3 speed transmission. I have put this thing through hell and have I admit that I have not been the best at maintaining it. I used it for two years to cut 2 acres and the last 4 years cutting 1 acre. It has been used to plow snow and to rake that acre of the rocks and grading it for seeding(lots of rocks)for the new home, God only know how many times I went around that acre pulling that rake. In other words it has been a work horse and god only knows how many hours are on it.

I have replaced nothing, it is still on the original belts and to be honest they still don't look bad. OK now for the problem. I'm sure you all know after using any piece of equipment for a long time if something changes you know it. While cutting grass this week all of a sudden it started making a noise while the tractor is moving, it is a very light whine. Really I don't know if I can even call it a whine and a grinding noise would be too harsh.

It happens only when the transmission is engaged; if the deck is engaged and the tractor is sitting still there is no noise, deck off tractor moving you have noise. It sounds as if it is coming from right under the engine where the belt and pulleys meet however it is kind of hard the look for the noise with the tractor moving. I plan to pull the deck and raise the tractor on my floor jack get the wheels moving and look to see if I can determine the location of the noise. (Hopefully nothing bad happens) Anyway I thought I would post to see if anyone has been down this road, I know that this is a long shot but I thought I would give it a try.

Thanks

dusty

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County